5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Difference b/t Mustang dyno and regular dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:15 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Difference b/t Mustang dyno and regular dyno?

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

heres a better question

whys it called a mustang dyno?
That's just the brand name. It means nothing as far as our cars are concerned.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

heres a better question

whys it called a mustang dyno?
Correct me if I am wrong....but a "Mustang" dyno has nothing to do with our beloved "Ford Mustangs"

It is just a brandname.....
Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

lol, ok just seemed funny that we would have our own dyno[8D]
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

5.0 sleeper? what mods?

it takes a bit for 400 hp , it actaully takes abit for 300 hp.....

HCI or 100 shot of nitrous might not do it even......300 hp will get you 12.50 ets at about 110 mph
Got a DSS308 bottom end
TFS Twisted Wedge Heads
New lifters
Pushrods
Intake Manifold
BBK intake
Longtube headers
E303 cam
225LPH fuel pump
24# injectors
and there's more, but thats off the top of my head.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
XSRACINGGT
3rd Gear Member

OK, here is the meaning behind a mustang Dyno. A dynojet measures hp/tq on a given car. The rollers all weigh 2000 lbs. On a mustang dyno, the rollers weigh what ever the car on the dyno weighs. With approximation if the car has never been weighed at a track or on a scale. My car, 87 GT with TFS Track Heat Heads, stage 2 TFS cam, street intake, 30lb inj. 80 mm MAF, 75mm TB, MSD 6AL, shorty headers, 1.6RR, O/R H pipe, 2 chambers, and a flat as hell fuel curve made 268HP/288TQ on a mustang dyno. On a Dynojet, the same car, almost identical conditions, made 305RWHP/345RWTQ on a dynojet. If you run on a mustang dyno, its actually like you tuned your car for the street cause you are trying to move a set of rollers that weighs the same as your car. If you put a honda civic on a mustang dyno and then ran it on a dynojet, the numbers would actually be identical. Because the car weighs closer to the 2000 lb mark that the dynojet rollers weigh. A Powerstroke would have a greater difference between the numbers than even my mustang did between the two dynos, because the truck weighs so much more. You see what I am saying? A car tuned on a dynojet will actually be tuned to run Fatter( richer) on the dyno so it will run a flatter curve on the street because of the weight difference of the actaul car vs. the 2000 lb rollers. But, it still might not be absolutely perfect. Where mine is flat on the street oron the mustang dyno. On the dynojet, it runs way rich. I personally believe in the Mustang Dyno, I have a SCT custom burnt chip from www.trudynosports.com and my car ran AWESOME! The guy really knew what he was doing. I would not have my car tuned any other way. Numbers dont always mean a great running car. I would much rather have a car that is reliable and fully streetable and able to drive to California and back and then hit a strip or two and not worry about whether my motor was going to detonate or throw a rod through the block. Like was said earlier, some people throw down big numbers on a dyno to show how much ***** they have but on the street theey aren't are bad *** because of the timing or the tune of the car. Just my LOOOOOOONG 2 cents hehe.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

that makes a good bit of sense to me xsracing. thanks for all the input guys.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

ORIGINAL: gearbanger

so the MD is more accurate because it puts more force on the tires to simulate the road????
No. It is less accurate because it attempts to and leaves all the variables up to the tuner.
The Mustang Dyno comes with a program that lists the weights of all the cars and what values need to be entered in. Personally I don't think one is really more accurite or better than the other, just different. The only other thing i have to say is that if Dynojets are so great, why are they coming out with an Eddy Current Dyno (same technology as Mustang)?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

ORIGINAL: gearbanger

so the MD is more accurate because it puts more force on the tires to simulate the road????
No. It is less accurate because it attempts to and leaves all the variables up to the tuner.
The Mustang Dyno comes with a program that lists the weights of all the cars and what values need to be entered in. Personally I don't think one is really more accurite or better than the other, just different. The only other thing i have to say is that if Dynojets are so great, why are they coming out with an Eddy Current Dyno (same technology as Mustang)?
I don't think they are great at all. If you want the truth, go to the track. But given that all the machines are calibrated equally, you can go to a Dynojet in California or New York and get the same numbers. With a MD you can do 2 pulls on the same dyno with different operators and get different results. Weight is not the only variable. The MD leaves too much in the hands of the operator. If the guy is good, the results will be. But I don't put much faith in a majority of dyno operators.