5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 02:32 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: camaro

There is a lot of room in the camaro's too, it is just that your head barely comes up over the dash, you can't really see where the hood ends, but you get used to it. the 91 handles well, and sticks to the road, if only they would have supe'd up the engine, it would have made for one sweet ride.

I also think that my stang has a lot of room, and you can see out of it well, but my buddy with the camaro says that my windshield wipers get in the way of his view! lol, what an excuse for something to complaine about. But we both like eachothers cars, and take turns burning up eachothers tires, it's all about having fun.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:40 PM
bossman351
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5_liters

ORIGINAL: bossman351

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

Haha, good advice.. And wait, ford still has the advantage IMO.
How is that? Have you raced an LT1 or an LS1? If so, Who had the advanage then??

ORIGINAL: 5_liters

race rim, you will win.

i raced a modded out (cammed, full 3 inch exhaust, chip, full ignition, DR's) maro that belongs to a buddy of mine and in my stock 95 gt he couldnt get me off his front fender.

my stangs an auto and his maro is a manual and even has a competition drag ratchet shifter, and this dude can drive his *** off.

like i said , he won but only by an eighth of a carlength or less.
So which is it? A manual or an auto? And what year model? Because theres no way you took a modded 93 up with a bone stock 95 GT. Especially if the Camaro driver was a halfway competent driver.

who said it was a 93?

its a mid 80's camaro with a 305

and i always considered ratchet shifters as manual i guess, just because the pistol grip shifter has like a sort of "clutch" engagement lever that you have to squeeze to shift up and down "manually", can you only have ratchet shifters installed on automatic transmissions?

when i say auto i'm usually referring to a computer controlled transmission that shifts by itself without any human assistance

I never said that it was a 93, I was asking if it was a 93 or newer because if it were a 93-02 that would be a whole different ballgame.
And about the auto/manual thing, Any thing that shifts on its own, be it hydraulicaly or electronicaly, is an automatic. You can add a full manual valve body so that you have to shift it into every gear selectively but it is still an automatic. Actual "ratchet shifters" are for autos as far as I know. Ive never heard of one on a standard. They get that name b/c they are gear driven and work like a ratchet handle. The teeth grab going one way and ratchet going the other. The release is to get it passed neutral and reverse so that you dont accidentally hit them while driving forward. Its not a clutch. You can add a "short throw" shifter in a standard but its absolutely nothing like a ratchet shifter. Then youve got a Lenco transmission, that is a WHOLE different story ALL together. Standard trannsmission without a clutch. It has planetary gears and each gear has a lever. So you pull a different lever for each gear. Check em out, theyre really cool.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Chevys build power faster cose parts are cheeper than ford but ford holds up longer. camaro suck in my oppion
Old 01-27-2005, 12:26 AM
bossman351
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

Actually raced an SS the other night, my buddy was driving my car, I was in the passenger seat, we launched all over him. He caught up seeing how his car was 1.5 seconds faster than my stock GT, but still.. who cares, he's got 50 CI's on me, a few more mods and Ill keep up.
I cant believe I missed that. Do you know how many times Ive heard that excuse??? I have seen sooo many guys in Mustangs get spanked by a GM after talking all kinds of $hit and use that same line. So what! Boo friggen hoo, If youre scared to lose or youre just gonna make excuses, why race?? Why does there always have to be an explanation??? Why cant anyone ever just admit that the other guys car was faster and leave it at that?? When the Stangs were spankin the 80s Camaros, all the stang guys were braggin about it. "His motor was 50 CID bigger than mine and I still whooped his a$$" Now that the 350 is back on top its "because his motor was bigger" or "Id like to see what he could do against a big block" PLEASE, dont snivell about it, just admint you lost. [:@][:@][:@]
Old 01-27-2005, 03:16 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Wow, someone has got a tude.. lol.. I simply stated that his 350ci was 48 (close enough to 50) CI bigger than my 302. Calm down, sure it's an excuse, but it is a legitimate one. The 302 was not made to beat a 350 chevy, that's why we have a 351. I did admit that I lost, to a car that makes over 100 more HP, what a tragic loss huh? I simply stated with a few more mods, I will keep up. That's all, no reason to get steamed.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:04 PM
bossman351
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for the tude, you just have no idea how many times Ive heard that before. When I had the IROC I heard that every time I beat a Mustang. Guys would wanna race me because they thought it was a sorry lil $hitbox maro, till I handed them thier a$$. Then they had an excuse "well, your motors bigger than mine" But If they ever beat me the story was different "HAHA, Ive got a lil ole 302 and I stomped youre big bad 350" I get a lil steamed every time I hear that one.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Yah, but bossman, you're saying it yourself, yet you're missing the point. The person with the bigger motor SHOULD win. Understand? It is EXPECTED, so if the person with the bigger motor wins, then yah, that's the way it SHOULD be, but if the person with the SMALLER motor wins, then it's a little bit of a deal. Understand? Your argument would be valid if you're saying that when a Mustang with, let's say, a 351 inside of it, beats a Camaro, then they are all bragging while they say it's no big deal for the 350 to beat a 302. See? Then it'll be a double standard since in both cases the car with the bigger motor wins, but the reaction is different depending on which car wins.

Unfortunately, that's not the case...

If the Camaro had a smaller engine than the Mustang, and beat the Mustang in a race, damn right the Camaro owner should be proud. Except it's the other way around. It's always a bigger deal if the "little guy" wins. Kind of how it'll be a bigger deal if the Eagles won the super bowl instead of the Patriots. But if the Patriots beat the Eagles, then it's not such a big deal, the Eagles haven't even been to the superbowl in 20+ years...