5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stereo Static after installing Ford Racing Wires

Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 PM
extreme_21

Default Stereo Static after installing Ford Racing Wires

I just installed a set of Ford Racing spark plugwires and cap..on the way home i noticed the stereo ticking weither it be on radio or cd. As the rpm's/speed rise it'll go away. It's mainly heard at idle and low speeds. Vehicle is a '95 GT,everything is original and has the mach 460. Question though is it possible that the static is due to the Ford Racing wires...I know that on OEM wires there is a lot of resistance to help reduce radio static, but I'm guessing the ford racing wires have less resistance thus will cause the stereo to have some static over oem?? Also this was noticed on a day that was raining..i don't know if the water can play a factor in this in anyway??
Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Stereo Static after installing Ford Racing Wires

Not sure, I have the same wires w/ no issues.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:04 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

you can get a noise filter if radio shack still carries them for pretty cheap, hook it up to your power wires going to the head unit and problem solved. but yeah, the wires are whats doing it
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you can buy radio filters that install inline to reduce the noise.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:07 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

haha i beat you to it
Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Depending on how your wires that go to your radio route by the wires/coil in the engine compartment, you can get electromagnetic interference (bleed over) The filter is probably your easiest route. Or you can try to trace the wires and route them away from the wires/coil.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

make sure all the cables are seated properly, it sounds like one is loose..........

I have fixed that problem probably a dozen times when the owner swears that they are right by pactictly standing on the cables until one of them seated. They are always really tight when then are new, use a larger hammer.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:54 PM
extreme_21

ORIGINAL: ttocs

make sure all the cables are seated properly, it sounds like one is loose..........

I have fixed that problem probably a dozen times when the owner swears that they are right by pactictly standing on the cables until one of them seated. They are always really tight when then are new, use a larger hammer.
You talking about one of the leads being loose on the plug? I could check that being that it won't cost me a dime to do..but whenever I install new wires I always make sure I hear/feel the spring clip lock in place. The noise isn't to bad..but does get annoying in the morning when i don't want the stereo loud..all i hear is *TICK TICK TICK..TICK...TICK TICK TICK!!*..haha. ne-waz I'll give the filter a try after I verify all the leads are secured..thanx all.
Question though, this filter does it go on constant oraccessory 12V supply..also to the radio or to the radio amp..or just doesn't matter at all??
Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

man those filters don't work no matter what wire you put them one, forwards or backwards.

I'll bet ya one of those wires is loose.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Do you have resistor or non-resistor plugs? I believe the Ford Racing wires have less suppression so if you have those plus non-resistor plugs that's why you may now have a problem where as before you had non-resistor plugs with regular suppression wound wires. Just a guess.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo Static after installing Ford Racing Wires