5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Throttle body coolant line

Old 07-28-2007, 12:32 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Default Throttle body coolant line

Okay, so mine just blew out on the firewall side of the tb. Does anyone know if this is a specific hose you have to get from Ford or can you get it at Autozone or something? Or, can you just get a length of 1/2" and use that?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 PM
fordracing1122
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle body coolant line

You can just go to the parts store and use regular coolant hose and cut it to length!
But really the coolant hoses to your throttle dont need to be hooked up, all they do is heat up the throttle body for cold starts. It can actually harm a little bit of performance cause it is heating the cool air coming in...

Just my 2 cents!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:48 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

they are wothless, get rid of the coolant lines. i threaded in a plug in the back of the manifold and for the spot on the hard heater line where the front coolant line runs to from the tb, i just welded that hold shut. no leaks and no more coolant in the tb
Old 07-28-2007, 04:51 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

What can I get to plug that hole in the mani? I've always had a leak from there, I think because that part is messed up, and advanced auto didn't have a new one for me. I'd rather just plug it up. What did u use to plug it?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:55 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

a threaded plug. it came with a set of about 8 in the package of all different sizes. they were shiny and only cost a couple bux. was from that cheapy company that sells mostly junk and seems like all autoparts stores give half an isle to this company for displaying their crap. finally they had something i could use. im sure you can find a plug at home depot if you really wanted to look there.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:22 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Good info guys thanks. I had heard that you could get rid of those so maybe I'll just do that. So the hose on the back side of the tb goes into the lower manifold? I stuffed my hand back there but could feel where it wound up. Would it be easier to pull the tb offto plug it?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goathead75

Good info guys thanks. I had heard that you could get rid of those so maybe I'll just do that. So the hose on the back side of the tb goes into the lower manifold? I stuffed my hand back there but could feel where it wound up. Would it be easier to pull the tb offto plug it?
yes, back passenger side corner.

as far as removing the tb, it might be easier but not necessary if you can get your hands and tools down there. i would think the hard coolant lines that run to the firewall along the top of the motor will be more in the way then the tb
Old 07-28-2007, 11:02 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

yes, back passenger side corner.

as far as removing the tb, it might be easier but not necessary if you can get your hands and tools down there. i would think the hard coolant lines that run to the firewall along the top of the motor will be more in the way then the tb
joy, I can't even get my hand far enough down there to feel it.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 AM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

aren't those lines there for a reason? like because the egr junk gets so hot that it needs to be cooled?
someone with an infra red thermometer should test that and see if it makes a difference with the lines on or off there...
that would clear up all TB coolant line myths... lol
Old 07-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

They are lines to cool the TB, not to heat it up. If you have the EGR deleted (not working)....no problem, they are not needed. If the EGR valve is still functional, you should leave them connected to cool the TB when exhaust gases are flowing through the spacer (that's the reason why they are there). You will not see a temperature difference, unless you're able to monitor the spacer temp during part-throttle/under-load conditions (EGR opening).....this is when the coolant is needed to cool the spacer + gases.

I've worked a few cases of premature TPS failures (including OEM replacements) where the sensor would only last for 2-4 months....all of them were solved by unclogging/cleaning the spacer coolant ports + reinstalling the coolant lines.....one of them had the EGR deleted, so the lines were not reinstalled; and none have had a comeback with the same problem in the past 5 yrs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle body coolant line