5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Little Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:36 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

Default Little Help?

Hey guys, just last weekend I threw on BBK shorty headers and a Edelbrock performer upper and lower intake. Plus I deleted my AC, capped off my EGR, and relocated my batt to my trunk. I’m running into a few issues now. The car seems to be running well but the battery is not charging correctly,I ran a 4 gauge wire from the positive of the batt to the 2 red wires under hood (distribution box, and starter) and a 8 gauge cable from the negative terminal to the original ground terminals.

When I charge the batt up it cranks really slow but will start but after I run it for a while and shut it down the car won’t start back up, just cranks super-slow like the battery isn’t charging. Any Ideas on what I maybe wired wrong?

When I was driving it my oil pressure gauge was hopping around which is weird because it never moved before, when I stopped I checked my dipstick and the oil seemed a little high but it didn’t look like there was any coolant in it, I flushed my oil after I changed my intake, in-fact I did it twice.

Think the gauge could be hopping around because of poor voltage from the batt being hooked up wrong?

Also when I drained my coolant before I did the a/c delete my coolant was like brown, with a like baby-poo brown sludge in the bottom of the reservoir I took it all out and sprayed all the crap out of there and flushed out my radiator. Then I refilled it with a 30/70-ish mix of coolant, I’m thinking some moron used stop-leak in it in the past before I had it and that’s what it is. I don’t think coolant is getting in the oil as the oil looks clean and the coolant level isn’t changing, could the radiator be corroding?

Any Ideas?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Fastman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Little Help?

test out the alt.. or maybe a old batt.. my gauges got jumpy when my alt. took a crap.. keep it simple
Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

At the very minimum you need 2 gauge wire from the bat to the solenoid. 00 would be even better. You need heavier cable for the ground as well. Yes, the charging problem could be affecting the gauges. Have you had the system checked to see what it's putting out?

Unless you actually back flush the motor, you'll never get all the contaminates out of the system.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:48 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

The batt is new, I have the Starter cable and Distribution Box cable running off the same 4-guage cable.

You think the cabling is just too thin, what do you think I should use for the ground, 4-guage?

If i replaced the ground wire with 4 guage cable and added a second 4 guage cable and ran the starter cable and distribution box cable separate would that be enough?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:50 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

The first thing I would do is find out what voltage and amperage is being put out. Go from there. What amp alt do you have?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

when you relocated battery you need more resistance i used 00 for ground and 0 for positive..with even a stereo system that is not enough..my gauges jump around when i'm thumping...also try to have all grounds tied into one post
Old 07-29-2007, 07:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I moved mine to the trunk as well make sure you scuffed the paint where the ground attaches to the body of the car in the trunk to bare metal also make sure you have a good ground from the engine to chasis , I had to do all this and installed heavy gauge wire and it works great....poor grounds will affect they systems ability to charge and crank fast = causes voltage drop if grounds aren't clean and secure
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

^^^^^^ Not only that, but I also ran a ground from the block to the frame too.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yeah so did I
Old 07-29-2007, 08:23 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

So 0 guage for the pos, 00 or 2 guage for neg?

Do i need to replace all the cabling up to the starter and the dist. box or can i just tie them in with the origonal wires?