5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

idle issues

Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: idle issues

Ignore what they told you at goodyear, run the DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test and check the links on how to do a base idle reset, doing the salt & pepper fix, etc in the page.....just a thought.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bz1111

Go here and follow these instructions I was having the same trouble and this fixed it rock solid since sept 06

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php
Don't mean to hijack the thread but....Great article thanks. I am also having this problem. replaced ALL the vacuum lines, new fuel pressure regulator, did the starter fluid test all over the vacuum lines, intake etc. no luck.
On crazy twist is when the vacuum line is disconnected from the FPR the car runs fine. Plug that line or hook it to the FPR and the car starts to idle real rough and then dies. Whats up with that? I am going to check the TPS voltage and check the mass air wire and see what that does but I am also running out of options.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 AM
house302
2nd Gear Member

I had trouble with my car idiling also and all i did was rotated the mass air towards the motor and now mine idles fine. Coincidence I dont know.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:01 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i also experience the idle issue during the morning, the volt meter will fluctuate between 8-14 volts, and the idle stays low enough that it dies out.
after a few quick spurts of the gas pedal, it straightens out. never does it again, until the next morning.

i'm leaning towards a leaky or clogged injector(s), but i'm just too lazy in the morning to properly diagnose it.
its not a problem that will show up with a code scan or KOEO/R tests. its a fuel problem.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

i also experience the idle issue during the morning, the volt meter will fluctuate between 8-14 volts, and the idle stays low enough that it dies out.
after a few quick spurts of the gas pedal, it straightens out. never does it again, until the next morning.

i'm leaning towards a leaky or clogged injector(s), but i'm just too lazy in the morning to properly diagnose it.
its not a problem that will show up with a code scan or KOEO/R tests. its a fuel problem.
You'd be surprised at the things you can find out doing the procedures.......if it was a clogged/leaky injector......how does it unclog itself or doesn't leak after it has warmed up?.....if its' a fuel control problem....wouldn't codes 41/91/42/92 show up?......
Old 07-31-2007, 12:26 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well then, tell me what the problem is. i havn't put much thought into it, aside from when it is happening, i'm sitting in the seat wondering wtf it is.
by the time i get to the end of my driveway, the problem is gone.

only code I have is for my EVP. MIL flashes momentarily during steady accel. couldn't care less about it.

6month old 190lph, new tank, new fuel filter, fender cai, & a 3G.
big pump is to accomidate upcoming mods.
stock everything else.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I ran through everything in that article but cleaning the mass air. My idle problem is all but gone. It dies every once in a while instead every time I push the clutch in and it is not searching foridle nearly as bad as it was before. I ran out of time and energy to clean the mass air. That will have to wait until my next days off. I am also thinking that I need to clean the idleair control valve some more. But thank God it's getting better... I swear I was ready to sell the damn thing.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Well it's back... I have noticed that the problem gets worse when I am running the A/C on high. I have watched the volt meter and it drops way down and then the unsteady idle begins, the volt meter starts to bounce around and the car dies. I have under drive pulleys and started to wonder if the alternator can't keep up with the electrical demands so the car finally runs out of juice and dies. Anyone?

Also cleaned the mass air and cleaned the air idle control again.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:05 PM
jason66249

wow...this must be the topic of the week...didnt realize my little problem would spark such conversation.....well....i turned the base ile up on my car...believe it or not it runs alot better. I dont know whether i just put a bandaid on the idle issue or whether i actually fixed it, but it idles alot better, and takes off from a stop better as well.... It still occasionally sputters sitting still, and just starting off...but it clears up when im on the road, and runs like a dog......I had a b&m shift kit installed in a freshly, completly tore down and rebuilt trans froma well known local trans shop, and........i have never ridden in an auto with such bite shifting in the gears. It's on level 3 of 3, and feels like it gained about 50 horses.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM
bz1111
2nd Gear Member

I had the same experience, I cleaned the tps again and let it dry completely before starting the car. I was very frustrated as you are but The second time around it was fixed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: idle issues