5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch installation problems **FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Clutch installation problems

ORIGINAL: getafewlives

Fenco dynapak NU31175
Hmmm, never heard of that one.

Yeah and what creekrat said!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Well I guess i will find out tomorrow when i see the new clutch i ordered in. If its the same it must be an adjustment issue. If its different then maybe its a defective clutch.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Ok, heres a question for you. Why are you paying a shop to put in a clutch!!! Come on now, thats an easy job! Get your hands dirty!!!!! Maybe you just have too much money laying around!Posting on the Tech Section, and you aint even putting it in, JEESSS! LOL! Just strokin ya peter! Don't get hard on me!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: creekrat

Ok, heres a question for you. Why are you paying a shop to put in a clutch!!! Come on now, thats an easy job! Get your hands dirty!!!!! Maybe you just have too much money laying around!Posting on the Tech Section, and you aint even putting it in, JEESSS! LOL! Just strokin ya peter! Don't get hard on me!

haha...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:25 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Well I was gonna do it myself but i knew I would not have enough time to figure it all out in a day, especially using jack stands to do it. I have never done anythign to do with a tranny so it woulda been a figure it out process, which i enjoy, but I need my car to get to work. This way i know the job is done right and it all got done while I was at work. Plus for $150 canadian it wasn't a bad deal. This is actually the first time I have brought a car into a shop. I Just gradded but if I was still in school I would have been able to use a lift and then this would be a whole different story.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Just messin with ya bra!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: creekrat

Just messin with ya bra!
Well it wasn't funny It's all fun and games until someone cries....

Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: getafewlives

Okay so i bought a new clutch kit and got a local shop to install it for me. When i brought it to them They noticed on the pressure plate (in the pic) that the surface was kind of gritty and rough and that normally it looks more like a new rotor surface. But they figured maybe it was just different, since they had never seen that before. They said that it looks almost like they missed a step when making the plate. But they went ahead and put it on my car. Now that its installed the clutch doesnt seem to disengage properly. You have to have the pedal to the floor as hard as you can press it and its still hard to shift into gears. And its hard to not grind reverse. And when you barely let off the clutch it grabs right away. Both the mechanics there are very skilled mechanics and know lots about mustangs. One even owns a nice red 1990 coupe in very good condition (summer car). Do you guys thinnk the pressure plate was defective? Or does it just need time to break in? I know the pic doesnt show any detail but i tried describing it the best i could. I ordered another clutch in to compare, so tomorrow I will find out forsure if thats a normal pressure plate.

isnt that how a new clutch feels? as far as shifting you might just be psycing yourself b/c you are thinking about the way the clutch feels, so you are not shifting normal. Grinding shifting into reverse is normal b/c reverse does not have syncros, try going from 1st then Reverse
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

No something is definetely not right. You have to have your foot pressing right down the floor and even then its a hard shift. If the pedal is up just a tuny bit you can't shift properly.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Well I looked at another of the same clutch and the pressure plate is the same. So must be just a new style or something? And from driving around all day and using the clutch lots it has gotten a lot better. It still has to be right down to the floor pretty much but it goes into gear smoothly now and doesn't grind. But there's a new problem i noticed. When the clutch pedal isnt pressed it makes a ticking sound. If i press the clutch in it goes away. The mechanic said its probably one of the fingers on the pressure plate sticking out a little further. He siad its not really bad but it annoys the hell out of me. It may be a subtle sound but i can hear it. Is there anythgin i can do about it? Could it just go away on its own? thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Clutch installation problems **FIXED