5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help selecting a cable...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Default Need help selecting a cable...

Peeps, I have a king cobra clutch with the stock cable. My mechanic said the car won't start (with the key) because the clutch won't engage. Plus, when the car is running, it can be shifted into 1st and 2nd gear. Can not get to 3rd or higher. He (my mechanic) said because the clutch is a performance one, I need to change the cable. Can someone tell me what is the best clutch cable to get?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help selecting a cable...

The explanation that your "Mechanic" gave you sounds,well,dumb. Do you have the car or is it at the shop. The king cobra is not really a performance clutch, just an after market one. Actually in my opinion that clutch just plain sucks. Have you tried to start it, that's the reason i asked if you have the car or is your mech. just trying to make money. Like maybe, "these damn cables are really hard and ima gonna have to charge you 10 hrs. labor to install new one"
Old 08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Yes I have the car at my place. What should I do? My bro came by and was able to start it from the engine. I don't know how he did it. He said he connected 2 wires and the car started. I guess he has some thief skills.

So what is you opinion as to why the car won't start?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:01 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Your "mechanic" sounds as if he is trying to make money on you without a doubt. The cable is fine, its the little switch on your clutch pedal that needs to be adjusted to make it start. The switch makes you push the pedal all the way in before you can start it. My tranny can only go into first and second also when the cars not running. Sometimes it doesnt go into any. You will be fine, you just need a 3 dollar part from what it sounds like.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 PM
84Capri
1st Gear Member

He jumped your starter solenoid, it's not really a thief skill, as the key has to be in the ignition and turned to the "on" position.

The clutch itself doesn't actually have to be engaged for the car to start, there's a switch type sensor on the clutch pedal that has to be engaged for it to start, it's a safety feature rather than a mechanical process. My brother had an 80-something Integra that didn't have the sensor, so depressing the clutch wasn't needed
Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ACE

Your "mechanic" sounds as if he is trying to make money on you without a doubt. The cable is fine, its the little switch on your clutch pedal that needs to be adjusted to make it start. The switch makes you push the pedal all the way in before you can start it. My tranny can only go into first and second also when the cars not running. Sometimes it doesnt go into any. You will be fine, you just need a 3 dollar part from what it sounds like.
That would be so great! How can I test the clutch switch. Is it something I can just probably put my finger on to engage it and have someone start the car?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Just look under the dash at the pedal area and you'll see it. Make sure it's in neutral, push it in w/ your finger and see if it cranks over.

Although the clutch switch is not stopping you from putting it in gear. that however is a mechanical issue.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Just look under the dash at the pedal area and you'll see it. Make sure it's in neutral, push it in w/ your finger and see if it cranks over.

Although the clutch switch is not stopping you from putting it in gear. that however is a mechanical issue.

I looked but I didn't see the switch. Could it be that the mechanic took it out so that I would go buy the cable?! [:@] Where exactly would it be?

Also, since he worked on the car I noticed the clutch and brake pedals are way too close together. Even if the car could start it won't be drivable because of the positions of the brake and clutch. Check out the pic and let me know if it looks weird.

[IMG]local://upfiles/64185/DA9AC6BA6123456B9F89940A1FF54EBD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

looks like its bent to me
Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

I just looked again and I think I see the switch. It's really hard to press. Is it suppose to be that hard? May be I should just change that and see what happens?

I pulled on the clutch pedal a little and I got some of the space back. So you're right mattdel. I'll pull on it some more tomorrow to see if I can get it to where it's suppose to be.

Quick Reply: Need help selecting a cable...