5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil smells like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 03:53 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Oil smells like gas?

think i might be running a little rich? obviously there is too much gas, what can i do to tone it down a little? in a month ill get it dynotuned and the a/f checked out, but when the air fuel ratio is dialed in can i assume it will only eat the fuel that is needed? i think that the gas mileage should be a little better also. what are the downsides of haveing oil run down the cylinder walls and into the oil? is it just washing away the oils lubrication and may cause premature wear? its running full synthetics also.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:32 AM
tchamber
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil smells like gas?

I was just reading an article in 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords, and one of the editors is doing mods similar to yours, and they said he is running rich due to his lack of a chip. The guy already had exhaust, no headers, he has a 70mm Tbody and spacer, but the rest is stock, no FPR or injectors. Oh yeah, he has a custom groung cam, but they say he has a lot of HP to gain in a custom tune. Check it out, March issue of the mag.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:24 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

i was just asking about the gas in the oil. i have 30lb an hour injectors, with a 190 in tank pump, with a t-rex in-line pump.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:25 AM
tchamber
2nd Gear Member

Um...Vfast?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:37 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

As long as intake and head gaskets are good then i'm stumped.. The only thing i can think of is there is so much fuel getting into the cylinder it's somehow getting past the rings and going to the crankcase. That is if it's injected. If it was carburated the i would say that the fuel pump and/or gasket is bad(fuel pump mounted to the block) and it lets fuel into the crankcase.
I am having almost the same problem with mine, smells a little like gas. I'm running 42# and have the 255lph pump and no fmu with my powerdyne.
I have yet to get mine tuned. I'm saving for the Anderson PMS unit so i can make changes as i uprade later.
I will be watching this post to see what other replies we get.

Rye
Old 01-27-2005, 11:03 AM
chriscindy6369
3rd Gear Member

Could be just that your rings are worn.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:05 AM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

yah ur definetly running rich. when i put my car together last year, i didnt have mass air yet and i had my fuel pressure at the normal 40psi with 30# injectors. i new i was running rich because of the black smoke but i just didnt really no how to tune a car all that great. i went to the dyno the following week and the a/f meter was off the charts. because of the no mass air, the computer was goin crazy. we ended up putting the fuel down all the way to i think it was 35psi. some where around there. after talkin to some guys and the tuner while i was there, acouple of problems accured and some one mentioned to me that i shood change my oil for some reason. my plugs looked kinda weird and they told me that oil had gotten onto them from inside the cylinder, and he mentioned something about gas too. well when i went home that day, i changed my oil as well as did other things that my tuner told me to do. when all the oil was drained it had the strongest sent of gas ever. after that , it never smelled it again cause i got the car running good. so it most likely is cause ur running rich
Old 01-27-2005, 12:20 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

one of the big problems with running too rich is that the excess fuel tends to wash the oil off the cylinder walls reducing the lubrication of them and possibly causing piston scuffing which is not a good thing. gas in the oil also dilutes it and reduces the lubrication efficiency of the oil too, so I would get this overally rich condition fixed as soon as possible to avoid any internal engine damage it might cause.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:06 PM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangTangGT

what are the downsides of haveing oil run down the cylinder walls and into the oil? is it just washing away the oils lubrication and may cause premature wear?
that is what i was afraid of, and definitely do not want. car only has 30k on the engine, i doubt the rings are bad. i will change the oil asap and schedule a dynotune sooner than planned. plus then i can post my new hp #'s i cant wait to see that. thanks for all the quick responses and if anyone has anything else to add im still open.