5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

'95 Boss Shinoda charging problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 AM
74Grabber

Default '95 Boss Shinoda charging problems...

I have a 1995 Boss Shinoda Mustang. The car has a '94 Cobra motor in it, that has about 90,000 on it, and a '92 GT transmission. The body of the car itself, along with all the wiring has 229,000 miles on it. (I know, I know... *** load of miles, that's what everyone says... You'd never guess it by looking at the car though, I keep it nice.) The car has underdrive pulleys, cold air intake with K&N filter, ported upper and lower intake with ported GT40P Explorer heads, slightly larger injectors, Flow Masters with X pipe, and a 3:73 rearend from a '97 GT in it. It started a couple of weeks ago, I was on my way home from work, getting on the interstate, and got on it pretty hard through 3rd gear, goofing around with this guy in a Scion TC.

I look down and the Alternator gauge was going crazy and the Check Engine, Battery, Anti-Lock and Air Bag idiot lights were all randomly turning on and off. I thought that was very odd, but once on the interstate, everything settled back down to normal, and remained normal the rest of the 61 mile trip home. So I didn't think much of it.

I get in the next morning to go to work, turn the key, and all hear is "click". Dead battery. I jump it off, and notice that the Alternator gauge is not showing any charge. I rev it up, and the gauge goes to the uppper half of the scale. So basically, at idle, the car was not charing at all. But anywhere above 2,500 RPM, and it charges fine. So I managed to get by for two weeks with it like that, just making sure to try to keep it above 2,500 RPM most of the time.

I went and picked up a new alternantor for the car tonight. I installed it and started the car up. Everything looked fine, car was charging well at idle with lights, A/C and everything on. I shut the car off, picked my tools up, and shut the hood. Started it back up, nothing... the car is not charging at all now. I drove it down the street and back, no change. Dosen't matter how high you rev it now, it does not charge at all. Battery was dead again when I got back to my house.

What is there besides the alternator that could cause the car not to charge? Isn't the regulator on the alternator itself? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long *** post, just trying to be thorough.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:53 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: '95 Boss Shinoda charging problems...

start checking your fusible links, and test for voltage AT the alternator itself. sometimes remanufactured starters are just junk
Old 08-04-2007, 02:06 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Sometimes a dead battery just wont charge.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:44 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

check your grounds. I had to re-do mine as the factory ground sucks, right next to the battery.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
74Grabber

Turned out to be the three wire plug that plugs into the alternator. The part that "clips" on when you plug it into the alternator was broke off, so it could just vibrate loose. I went to the junkyard and cut one off another car there, soldered and shrink wrapped it on my car, and all is well now.

Thanks for the help.