5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car still won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Default Car still won't start....

Peep, I need some help in getting my fox to start up. I've changed the battery and the starter and still the car won't start. What should I do next?

At first I thought it was the battery, so I changed it and the car still won't start
Then I thought it was the starter, so I changed it and it still won't start
Then I thought it was the clutch safety switch, so I pressed it, held it, turn the key and it still won't start

The car was recently serviced and the clutch, crossmember and clutch fork was changed.

Car still won't start. The car will however, start if the starter selenoid is jumped, but I want it to start from the key.

What else can I be looking for?????
Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Car still won't start....

ORIGINAL: bbbngowc

Peep, I need some help in getting my fox to start up. I've changed the battery and the starter and still the car won't start. What should I do next?

At first I thought it was the battery, so I changed it and the car still won't start
Then I thought it was the starter, so I changed it and it still won't start
Then I thought it was the clutch safety switch, so I pressed it, held it, turn the key and it still won't start

The car was recently serviced and the clutch, crossmember and clutch fork was changed.

Car still won't start. The car will however, start if the starter selenoid is jumped, but I want it to start from the key.

What else can I be looking for?????
When the key is turned to start, check for 12v + at the jumper terminal.(small wire) on starter solenoid
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 AM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Is your clutch pedal switch working or aligned correctly? Do you get any power when the key is turned?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

okay so won't start it sounds as if you have a no crank condition not a no start....the two are different ....there should be a small wire that runs to the selonoid that comes from the ignition feed that is hot upon crank you need to hold the key in the crank position and test for power on that wire with a test light
Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeVa

Is your clutch pedal switch working or aligned correctly? Do you get any power when the key is turned?
I'm not sure if the clutch switch is working. I pressed it in with my hand and the car still didn't start. There is power when the key is turned. The fuel pump starts, the lights on the dash is on. I can turn on the headlights.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

okay so won't start it sounds as if you have a no crank condition not a no start....the two are different ....there should be a small wire that runs to the selonoid that comes from the ignition feed that is hot upon crank you need to hold the key in the crank position and test for power on that wire with a test light
There is no crank. I just turn the key and nothing. No click, shicks, cranks or spanks. Nothing.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

unplug the clutch switch and jump it with a piece of wire ...if you have an ohmmeter you can test it for continuity with it held closed and no continuity when open ...that'll test the switch and gaurantee you don't become a parts slapper to solve the problem
Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

unplug the clutch switch and jump it with a piece of wire ...if you have an ohmmeter you can test it for continuity with it held closed and no continuity when open ...that'll test the switch and gaurantee you don't become a parts slapper to solve the problem
Well it's not the clutch switch. I diconnected both wires and jumped them and the car still won't start.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

only 2 things left. either the ignition switch or the starter solenoid.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

only 2 things left. either the ignition switch or the starter solenoid.
If I can jump the starter solenoid and it starts, would that mean it's good?

Quick Reply: Car still won't start....