5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

t5 tare down/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:00 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: t5 tare down/rebuild

ok yea ill go with that concept... after reading that page in the manual i have a few more times now im startin to get it... so with that and ur explination, i think im good now... well it comes in tomorrow... so either ill do it tomorrow, or wed(if i get off early any of those two days)

ill let u know how it goes..
Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Good luck with it.... there not that bad!!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

na i rly dont see it being bad at all, only concern i had was the backlash and i understand that now

do u use a press to remove the gears? i have access to one, so i planed on usin it
Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

mark the syncro hub and outer ring (do NOT use a punch use a paint marker)...

What happens if you don't do this???

Old 08-07-2007, 03:10 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

each spline has a wear pattern if you get them in the wrong place then they don't slide right and may bind, and they wear a new patern and cause them to eventualy fail prematuraly
Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

alright, well its semi apart... as you both know, the gears tthem selves come off by hand easily, but the 1/2 and 3/4 syncro (center part that is on the shaft) does not... so hopefully tomorrow at work my boss gives me some time, or lets me off early so i can have at this thing.

when i told him i was gonna do it he laughed at me, lol... so now i rly gotta do it and do it right... then be like "here biotch, get in and drive" and show him that i CAN infact do it, lol

my only question left is, the new bearings... do i lube them or do anything w. them before assembaly? or when its done and i put atf in it will that do the job?

plan is to... take it apart, laying it like it came off, then just swap out all the parts that the rebuild kit comes w., and throw it back together. well ill let yall know how it goes.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

each spline has a wear pattern if you get them in the wrong place then they don't slide right and may bind, and they wear a new patern and cause them to eventualy fail prematuraly

whoops... my 5th gear synchro assembly fell apart as I was prying it off, I looked to see if I could tell where the three clickers went if there were any wear marks, but I couldn't find any so I just put them back together wherever...
Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

make sure you soak all the blocker rings in tranny fluid before assembly and pre lube the bearings with a little tranny fluid as to not have it dry uppon start up
Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

perfect, thats all i needed to know...

or uh wait, lol... all thats left on the mainshaft is the 1/2 syncro, 2nd, 3rd and the 3/4 syncro... can i just press from the 1/2 syncro and take it all off the end at once, i assume i can(take it all off the in put shaft end)

sry, just tryin to not **** up, as i know what im going to do and all, but never acutally have done it yet yano... just getting all my ducks in a row, and making sure my boss doesnt have to help, so i can show him wuts up, lol
Old 08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

When I first did one many years ago...I found a tear/down rebuild instruction list on the internet and they said a generic way to get the hubs off was to get a piece of treated wood and smack the main shaft up and down to jar the gears and center section loose....I never did it that way cause I had a press... the safest easiest way not to cause damage is to use a press which works well

Quick Reply: t5 tare down/rebuild