5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

t5 tare down/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default t5 tare down/rebuild

well i have the t5 torn apart now, just waiting to take gears off the output shaft untill tomorrow when the rebuild kit comes in... any way... for those of you who have done this, anything i should know? or look out for? it seems easy... and i am mechanically inclined...

main questions are is there anything that needs to be marked so that when i put it back its exactly like it was? and when i reinstal the output and input shaft i have to set a backlash right.. by shimming it? what is the acceptable range?

anyone who wants any pics of internals of a t5, or needs to know something about whats where in particular... just ask
Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: t5 tare down/rebuild

yes you shim it... mark the syncro hub and outer ring (do NOT use a punch use a paint marker)... other than that you know what your doing, it's just a matter of doing it
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I've rebuilt many t-5's too.....best thing to do if it's your first time...lay it out on a bench in the order you take it apart and put it back together in opposite order.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

lenny im confused... syncro hub? the outer part of it that holds the springs, 3 small pieces and slides over the blocker rings? and what outer ring? im not lookin at my trans right now so that doesnt help lol.

do i need to mark the gears themselves?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Yeah that's the fun part!!! holding what they call the shift dogs in place and the springs and sliding the sincro hub over it all[&:] three hands would help in this instance but all in all it's not too bad.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

ummm i have NO problems putting the syncro back together... just set the outter ring over the inner hub and then place the "shift dogs" (as you call them) in and the put the spring on one side and then flip it and put the spring on the other side..... make sure that the springs are put on right or they will come apart when shifting, obviously causing all kinds of bad things to happen
ORIGINAL: mjr46

Yeah that's the fun part!!! holding what they call the shift dogs in place and the springs and sliding the sincro hub over it all[&:] three hands would help in this instance but all in all it's not too bad.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:40 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea i already had 5th gears syncro all apart like that... by accident... wasnt bad getting back together
Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

neither do I !! but to someone who has never done a tranny rebuild before things may seem a little hairy at first
Old 08-06-2007, 10:46 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

mjr46, only real question i have left is what the backlash should be set to, like what is the acceptable range? or specific number?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what I usually do is take out the original shim and take a digital micrometer and measure it and replace it with a new one of the same thickness....I'm not at work right now so I don't remember the specs of the top of my head but I have them on my computer at work... but if all else fails after Install a rebuild kit I check to see how tight it is to turn over.....you'll know if it's to tight but using the same shim but a new one that's the same thickness as the original has always worked great for me and never had a come back.

Quick Reply: t5 tare down/rebuild