5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Errr.. Joel.. Or other electrical geniuses

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default Errr.. Joel.. Or other electrical geniuses

Alright, you may remember how a few days ago I was curious if my fuel pump relay was acting as it should be.. Since then, I was told to wire everything else like this http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/E...er_diagram.gif I assume to keep current from running through the 67 ignition switch.. Now, I did all that, EXCEPT for two major things. I left the fuel pump relay as it was.. which is wired like this http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ng_Diagram.gif with 1 coil wire going to pin 37 in the ecu, and the other one going to pin 22. It worked before like that. HOWVER, the one thing I didn't change was the ECU relay wiring. It is still triggered by the red/green wire. As you may note, this red/green wire is also the coil wire, which is triggered by my new ignition relay.So in effect, I have wired the ignition relay, and the ECU relay in series. I noticed today, that my fuel pump wasn't clicking on for a second like it did earlier after this little mod. My question is, is this related, or have I screwed something else up? I followed the wires, and I believe I left the fuel pump intact. So, I'm at a loss. I wouldn't think being wired in series would be that terrible, but I couldn't seem to get my fuel pump to click so as I said, I'm at a loss...

If it is related, I have a couple more questions. I guess I should continue and wire it like that fordfuelinjection diagram suggests, but they want me to wire the positive coil wire directly to the ignition switch, instead of pin 37 of the ECU. Will this work? I have a speed density computer. I will need to update to mass air for unrelated issues. Will it work like that for both computers?

Secondly, in an effort to keep multiple wires coming out of the ignition switch, I have an aftermarket fusebox in my car (Ez-wiring.. For unrelated purposes. I didn't have a chassis harness for this 1967). I was going to run THAT hot fuel pump wire to the positive fuel pump relay (If I follow the FFI sites diagram) to keep wires down, and it would be fused. I noticed today however, that it's only hot on run, not while cranking. I would assume it has to be on during both run and crank and run.. I mean, it might sputter due to being primed, but you'd think the computer would get all confused that the pump isn't running and shut off or something. And on that note, which of these circuits have to be on crank and run? The diagram says "Ignition switch Run" but it would make sense to me if the computer and fuel pump and ignition were running during cranking too??

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:27 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Errr.. Joel.. Or other electrical geniuses

I was looking at it again and it seems to me that my fuel relay would get it's power from Pin 37, which receives it's power from the ECM relay.. so it doesn't seem to me, at least, that it should matter how that relay is wired? ahh!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Sigh. Loose connection at the computer. Is this common? I guess my series question still stands, but I guess when you think about it, if the fuel pump relay gets it's power from the EEC, it doesn't matter if the EEC gets powered on after the coil (Even if it's by a fraction of a fraction of a second). The crank/run questions still stand though.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:57 AM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

loose connections are more common than shorts. wiggle test the circuit see if that does any. also u can drag test the connector pin
slides to c if they retain tension. if not grab a small pick tool and
reapply tension to the slides. after uve done that load test the circuit to validate concern
Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 AM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Well I think it works now. My main concern (Besides the series wiring) is if they should all be wired to only Run, or start and run.. THanks