5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

learning to rebuild motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

Default learning to rebuild motor

since im swappin a 460 into my car, i thought about using my stock motor as a way to learn how to rebuild motors. Thats only if its not something too expensive thats wrong with it. Is it really gonna be that hard... i pretty much can do anything else to a car except rebuild trannies and install gears and build motors. I have the knowledge of how to do everything for the most parti just havnt ever done it. Also ive seen people that put their newly rebuild motors on stands and hook everything up to get them runnin on a stand. What all does this entail and is it worth it?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Default RE: learning to rebuild motor

im the same as you, and i think it cant be to hard if u dont need to bore it out. so re ring it and put in all new bearings and seals and bolts basically. i geuss there more to it like getting the crank ground incase its worn uneavenly. rebuild kit, hone cylinders and stuff port heads with a dremel or drill on the intake and exaust ports
Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Hey 91 what's wrong with your current motor????? since your a hop skip and a jump away you interested in selling it if it's any good??? best way to rebuild a motor is on a stand because during the process you need to constantly flip the motor back and forth between right side up and underside......If you have any questions or any major installation probs give me a shout since distance is not all that far.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Rebuilding a motor isn't as simple as you all are making it out to be. granted if you do one you can build them all but you cant just "re-ring it" and "throw new bearings and bolts in it" There are many different clearences to check like..... Crankshaft endplay, camshaft endplay, rod and main journal clearances, ring gap cleanance, oil pump shaft to block wall clearances, oil pump shaft play clearances, and thats only 30% of the bottom end of the motor, not to mention certain things go in certain ways, like... rings on the pistons, direction the piston goes into the block etc. Get some one to watch you and show you the first time you do it.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

i never said it would be easy but i dont think it would be hard. I probably will have someone watch me and help me
ORIGINAL: ahittz24

Rebuilding a motor isn't as simple as you all are making it out to be. granted if you do one you can build them all but you cant just "re-ring it" and "throw new bearings and bolts in it" There are many different clearences to check like..... Crankshaft endplay, camshaft endplay, rod and main journal clearances, ring gap cleanance, oil pump shaft to block wall clearances, oil pump shaft play clearances, and thats only 30% of the bottom end of the motor, not to mention certain things go in certain ways, like... rings on the pistons, direction the piston goes into the block etc. Get some one to watch you and show you the first time you do it.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

im not real sure... i was drivin along one day and all of a sudden the temp jumped up to like 300 degrees f in about 3 seconds. I pulled off the road and the motor started ticking real bad and lost all power. I had it towed home and the next day i started it up again and it ran fine except it would go from dead cold to overheating in about 5 min. I put a new rad, water pump, thermo, thermo housing, hoses and it still would overheat. It would start and idle fine for awhile but recently it stopped idling smooth and you had to rev it up to keep i running. Then i noticed oil was comming out of the exhaust. So im not sure whats wrong with it but so much has happened to this motor that i wouldnt trust it unless it was rebuilt but im swappin a 460 in. I would sell if its not something serious wrong with it and i could rebuild it. I wouldnt sell it unless i knew it was in good shape after a rebuild. But if it is, ill sell it and anything else under the hood. Same with my aod tranny that was just rebuilt.
ORIGINAL: mjr46

Hey 91 what's wrong with your current motor????? since your a hop skip and a jump away you interested in selling it if it's any good??? best way to rebuild a motor is on a stand because during the process you need to constantly flip the motor back and forth between right side up and underside......If you have any questions or any major installation probs give me a shout since distance is not all that far.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sounds like it might of had a blown head gasket??
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

p.s......how are you going to get that through emissions here or what are your plans for that???????
Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

screw emissions!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

i checked... and no oil in coolant or coolant in oil... i guessed warped head or cracked block... really im gonna pull the motor anyways for the swap.... lol
ORIGINAL: mjr46

sounds like it might of had a blown head gasket??

Quick Reply: learning to rebuild motor