5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stroker q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
nhancedssp
1st Gear Member

Default stroker q's

i was originally planning on just a H/C/I swap this fall but now i think i'm just going to rebuild the motor first so i have a fresh starting platform. i might as well stroke the motor while i'm in there so i have a few questions first to those that have been down this road before...
1) How reliable and streetable is a stroker motor? What about gas mileage?
2) 331 or 347?
3) What parts besides the stroker kit will i need? What machine work is involved? Prices?
4) If I don't change the H/C/I all at the same time will I still notice a power gain?
5) What increase in power and torque am i looking at with just the kit? With the kit and H/C/I?
6) If i wasn't to do the work myself what do you think a shop would charge for the labor?

I know this is a lot of questions but any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: stroker q's

ORIGINAL: nhancedssp

i was originally planning on just a H/C/I swap this fall but now i think i'm just going to rebuild the motor first so i have a fresh starting platform. i might as well stroke the motor while i'm in there so i have a few questions first to those that have been down this road before...
2) 331 or 347?
3) What parts besides the stroker kit will i need? What machine work is involved? Prices?
4) If I don't change the H/C/I all at the same time will I still notice a power gain?
5) What increase in power and torque am i looking at with just the kit? With the kit and H/C/I?
6) If i wasn't to do the work myself what do you think a shop would charge for the labor?

1. as reliable as any motor if its built properly. i was getting around 13 but the car was untuned and running very rich
2. 347 all the way why not get all the cubes you can.
3. talk to FullAuto or Fordstrokers dot com and they can help you with this question
4. i would get heads at a minimum or it will be a waste of money
5 with a properly built 347 you should be on high end of 300 if not 400rwhp
6 quite a bit. try to find a local racer to do the work if you can't do it yourself if not look at probably around the 1500 bucks
Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

2) 331 or 347?

1. If assembled properly, every bit as reliable as stock.
2. 347
3. balancer, flexplate/flywheel, clearancing the block, pricing varies- plan on an extra $200 in parts and labor
4.If you can't change H/C/I, you can't afford a stroker. Buy the H/C/I first. You'll see bigger gains.
5.A good 347 with H/C/I will make 370rwhp. A great one will make 400+rwhp with EFI on pump gas.
6. Varies by location.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:06 PM
nhancedssp
1st Gear Member

i was planning on a set of rhs heads at the least when i do it just maybe not a cam and intake right now because i would also like to get it tuned at the same time. any recommendations for tuning?

FullAuto, I've heard you have about the best prices on kits. What does your 347 kit run? Also what would be your choice for H/C/I?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

FullAuto, I've heard you have about the best prices on kits. What does your 347 kit run? Also what would be your choice for H/C/I?
I attempt to have the best prices on Scat kits. I don't sell the cheap brands, so it is possible to find something cheaper. But as cheap as I sell the Scat stuff, the savings isn't worth the sacrifice in quality.

I have 347 flattop piston kits in stock with upgraded Probe pistons for $750 + $75 shipping. Those exact kits generally sell in the $899 + shipping range. Don't bother getting a tune with stock cam and heads. Save until you can do it right the first time. I'm a fan of Canfield, RHS, TFS and Edelbrock Vic Jr. heads if you're not using a stock shortblock. I'm a fan of AFR if you're not buying them new. If you were running a stock shortblock and NOT running a custom cam, TFS TW would be my only choice. Holley would probably be my intake of choice for a 347. I ONLY buy custom cams from CI. I don't do OTS. But that's me and not necessarily for everyone. I think you'll have a very difficult time breaking 400rwhp with an OTS cam, EFI and pump gas.

I would do the full H/C/I on a 347 with 30lb injectors, matching PMAS maf and no tune. I think you'll find out driveability isn't that much of an issue at that level. A tune will benefit very little. Do the tune later rather than the intake and cam.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM
nhancedssp
1st Gear Member

so say i went in a different direction for now if i didn't have the money for a stroker build. who makes a good rebuild kit without changing the displacement? would i notice a power gain from a "stock" rebuild kit?

just trying to weigh out what my options are before i go to buying parts. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 PM
nhancedssp
1st Gear Member

bump to the top.....
Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

If your shortblock is trashed and it requires a rebuild but you can't afford the H/C/I also, go ahead and buy the 347 kit. After you buy any decent piston for a 306, recondition the rods, buy new rod bolts, turn the crank, buy rings, etc., you've pretty much already spent the same money for a 347. It will make more power than a stock 306 build, but it will suck as far as 347s go. Then when you can afford to upgrade, the parts are already there.