5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help with installations....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:01 PM
luvdemstangs

Default help with installations....

whats up fellas. i'm a newbie to the forum and just had a question on installing a few things on a newly built engine. i was given a 306 built longblock (minus the oil pump/pan, front cover, and balancer) thats going into my 1990 gt. i just want to make sure i install everything correctly. i wouldn't want anything to go wrong after i install the engine in the car. so, i was going to use a little rvt silicone on the gaskets for the oil pan and front cover, that should be fine right? i'm going to have to rent a tool for the balancer so i know that aint going to be hard to install. one other thing concerning me is how do i correctly install the distributor? i know the cam timing is all set and i don't want to install the distributor the wrong way and either the cam or distributor gear, oil pump/shaft, or god forbid anything else to get ****ed up. want everything to run smooth when its all said and done, i know you guys understand. any help would be great. thanks.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:28 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: help with installations....

For the front cover...don't use any sealer. On the oil pan use sealer at the four corners by the mean bearing caps, cause if you don't, she'll leak.

You got the cam and timing chain on right? To put the distributor in bring #1 cylinder up to Top Dead Center (TDC) on the COMPRESSION stroke, where both valves are closed. On the distributor cap there should be a number "1" molded into the cap. When you put the distributor in, it's going to turn the shaft when it's pushed down, but ultimately, you want the rotor to be pointing at number one when it's fully seated. What get's frustrating is the oil pump drive shaft. Since it's a hexed shape it'll mess up your distributor install. What you have to do is keep taking the distributor out and turning the shaft with a 1/4" drive socket to get it in the right position so that it will let you put the distributor in all the way. You must put in the oil pump drive shaft in when you put your oil pump in. You can't put the shaft in from the top. There's some sort of "crown", if you will, on the shaft that doesn't allow it to come out when you take the distributor out. Good luck, and reply with more questions if you have any.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:01 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

if you use any rtv sealer, make sure it is O2 sensor friendly as the wrong kind will kill the O2 sensors. a thin layer of sealer on the gaskets will not hurt just don't use a lot of it is all. and 86HOGT has given you the right method for installing the distributor, you just have to back the rotor up a bit to allow for the partial revolution it will make as you lower the distributor down onto the cam gear. you have to allow for this or you won't line up pointed at the #1 terminal in the cap if you don't when the gears finally mesh.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:38 PM
luvdemstangs

koo, thanks for the help guys. i'll let you know how everything goes and i'm pretty sure i'll be posting questions as my installation is coming along.