5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

its almost ready to go back together (updated 8/10)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default its almost ready to go back together (updated 8/10)

well, I got the motor fully bolted down to the bellhousing in my '86, and via a large breaker bar, can turn the motor by hand, takes a bit of muscle, but it turns freely...[8D] anyhoo, I noticed the weight that is welded to the rear of the flexplate (its an auto trans, I got it right this time) grinds the block plate in a few spots, enough to make a sound, but not enough to impede the movement of the engine. anythoughts? I'm thinking the plate may be a lil warped or something,

any help would be cool, I plan on getting that thing as assembled as I can before I go back to school on monday....
Old 08-09-2007, 10:21 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: its almost ready to go back together

are you serial?

ask yourself this question.
do you think its a good idea to grind a weight?

go take a grinder to a weight on a RWD car's driveshaft, then go drive that car. tell me if its a good idea.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

are you serial?

ask yourself this question.
do you think its a good idea to grind a weight?

go take a grinder to a weight on a RWD car's driveshaft, then go drive that car. tell me if its a good idea.
my bad, it was a super dumb question I know... it rubs in two spots, but nothing seriously loud or restrictive in anyway...

I had a really long day, and it seemed like a logical thought in my head for all of 15 seconds...[&:][&:][&:]

I know 77 and adder will have a field day with this[&:]
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

engine will be easier to turn if you take the spark plugs out....and why is there a weight welded on to your flexplate? Im not familar with autos....but it seems like a dumb idea since welding creates heat and heat warps metal
Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I took a few out, and I have the intake blocked (dont have a carb yet) so that may be causing it too...

as for the weight, I think thats the way it was balanced, I may be wrong... I dont know much about them, aside from that the starter turns it when the ignition is turned
Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah, thats how its balanced
Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

the weird thing is, I dont see any scratch marks on the weight when It swings down to where the inspection plate would be covering it... it sounds like it is grazing it, so maybe there is just some dirt or grime that got caught up in there... even though I cleaned that stuff all out before it went together... I dunno, all that matters is when I go to start it is that it doesnt blow up or fall apart on me...
Old 08-09-2007, 10:46 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if a rotating part is rubbing on something, why would you start it? do you think 1000rpm is going to make it going away?

something isn't right.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i had a flexplate rub on the block plate once, but it was because i had a 28oz mustang II flexplate rebalanced for 50 oz and they made it stick out too far. i dunno why you would be having this problem?!?! you say maybe its grit up in there - put a dab of white out or something on the weight and spin her around and see if it scratches it. then come back and post your findings
Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

i had a flexplate rub on the block plate once, but it was because i had a 28oz mustang II flexplate rebalanced for 50 oz and they made it stick out too far. i dunno why you would be having this problem?!?! you say maybe its grit up in there - put a dab of white out or something on the weight and spin her around and see if it scratches it. then come back and post your findings
I'll let you know tomorrow 77, its baffling me, cuz the converter is seated properly and everything... it is a 5.0 flywheel, I have the invoice from MPS sitting around here somewhere... the one from the sixxer is in my garage... fate unknown.....when it was off kilter last time, the damn thing wouldnt even turn over at all, I remember all those posts of bad advice...

Quick Reply: its almost ready to go back together (updated 8/10)