5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

timing confermation

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

Default timing confermation

i tried to bumb my timing today i just want to be sure i did it right. when i pulled the pin and look at the timing numbers i saw the other line the other owner had it at and it was like 8 or something so i made a mark around 13-14 and changed it, when i put the in back in the timing moved up to 23-24. is that wats its supposed to do or am i going to blow my engine?

also i did this because some people thought it would sovle my intake backfire, the car right now runs smoother and feels stronger but i still get the intka e backfire.

im going to change ,y fuel filter now, my pump is ok, if that doesnt solve it im going to start looking at vaccuum leaks, although it looks fine.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: timing confermation

Yes, the timing will jump when that timing plug is back in.

As for the back firing, I still believe it is a vacuum problem. Double check the wires and firing order. I know you said it was right, but it doesn't hurt to check again.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM
hondhunter
2nd Gear Member

definalty a vaccum leak on the manifold ake sure no lines collapsed and timing sound be at 14 max for a stock motor so thats 24 with
the spout connector
Old 08-10-2007, 05:43 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

update

i finished wokring on the car abour 2 hours ago just finished washing it for a car show tommorow.

i bumped the timing to about 14 or 24 with spout, the car ran better but i could tell it was a bit hesitent, i could feel more power as i was flooring it,.
i drove around my neighbour hood up to my uncles house and i floored it and boom there it was intake backfire so i knew i did fix it.

i got home and right away i changed the fuel filter whcih is the easiest thing to do, hardest part is taking out the dam clips. after i did that i went for a spin up to crappy tire for carb cleaner to check for vac leaks. the whole way i floored it going through all the gears tring to see if it would backfire again and it didnt.

got home reved the engine and it would not backfire so i think i got to the bottom of it, if it does it again ill let you guys know and we'll take it from there.

1 question through. my volt meter runs pretty high, its been the same since i started screwing with the car. it between the middle of the guage and the top of the guage. so about 3/4 of the way. is there a reason for this.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

regulator might be going bad, but the gauge itself might not be the most accurate.

take your old filter and try to blow through it. make sure you don't inhale through it, just blow through it. it should be pretty free flowing.
if its not, you might have found your problem.