5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

94 gt and 94 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:20 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Default 94 gt and 94 cobra

I have a 94 gt with a stock block, heads etc... I found a complete cobra engine w/ wiring harness for 1800$.
what are the exact differences in the block, pistons, heads cam etc? in the gt vs cobra? I know the intakes are better etc...
Any help is big thanks a ton...
Old 08-11-2007, 06:31 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 94 gt and 94 cobra

let see the differnece just on the engine bay is well the cobra is an oil cooler, gt-40s, more lift on cam, 1.7RR, cobra intake, forged pistons (form what i heard), smaller crank pulley(like an underdrive pulley), the block is the same basically... i dont think there is ne real difference... 1800 is kinda steep.... i mean you can get better heads and a custom cam for that... but if im rite and the pistons are forged then the motor might be worth it... that of course saying that its in perfect running order... id like a confermation on the forged piston cuz im not 100% sure
Old 08-11-2007, 06:35 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

CrazyCobra pretty much summed it up, but the pistons are cast aluminum, not forged. Cobra engines also have 24lb injectors but for $1800 you could put together a much stronger head and cam package.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:04 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

CrazyCobra pretty much summed it up, but the pistons are cast aluminum, not forged. Cobra engines also have 24lb injectors but for $1800 you could put together a much stronger head and cam package.
thanks for hte correction on the pistion... i knew they were a little better i heard forged... which was wrong but still thats for that and all i did for get about the injectors and im swapign them out rite now so i feel stupid for that... thanks for hte back up too....

i was wondering how your h/c/i turn out onyx... like it or dislike it?? mine was so so... it was a blower cam tho so it wasnt great... 280ish with a bad tune after i got the correction PR i got 280ish so its not horrible mayb could have gotten 290 with a good tune... but i got a D-1 for procharger so ill fix the hp problem really quick....

strongstang as for buying the engine or not id tryin to get it for 1200 that would be pretty good deal... if your not hell bent on gettin it i wouldnt tho... cuz u still wouldnt have a cobra and u wouldnt gain but mayb 40hp outta it.... its not like a 04 gt and an 04 cobra swap... u dont gain 150hp outta it... and if u look at it u dont really get a better block just a little lighter pistons that are a little better... lighter pistons do rev faster but still u arent gettin 1800 bucks worth... mayb 1200 like i said... but for a little more u can get a lot more... u just gotta then what yout plans are down the road... if your not a big modder like myself then mayb thats all u need... when i had full exhuast on my cobra is was a nice car.. just not fast enough for me... i got great gas mileage and all and it looked and sounded good... i have just tune into an hp/speed freak.... what do you expect of the car??
Old 08-11-2007, 07:20 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

CrazyCobra, so far the h/c/i has turned out awesome. So far i love my head and cam choice and *knock on wood* have had zero problems for about 1400 miles now that it's been done. It's not tuned yet but the guy I talked to said the car should be in the solid 12s after the tune, so I'm going to call him and set up a time to let him work his magic. Unless I'm really disappointed I'll post up the dyno numbers and the track numbers shortly after Btw that D1 should be insane, i'm excited to see what kinda numbers she puts down.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:23 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

CrazyCobra, so far the h/c/i has turned out awesome. So far i love my head and cam choice and *knock on wood* have had zero problems for about 1400 miles now that it's been done. It's not tuned yet but the guy I talked to said the car should be in the solid 12s after the tune, so I'm going to call him and set up a time to let him work his magic. Unless I'm really disappointed I'll post up the dyno numbers and the track numbers shortly after Btw that D1 should be insane, i'm excited to see what kinda numbers she puts down.
ill let you know... i got a tweecer to tune it im... i bought it used with a 3 core intercooler guy before me said he got 15psi outta it
Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed

ill let you know... i got a tweecer to tune it im... i bought it used with a 3 core intercooler guy before me said he got 15psi outta it
I've heard the D1 is good for crazy boost, 15psi on a D1 is weaksauce
Old 08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed

I've heard the D1 is good for crazy boost, 15psi on a D1 is weaksauce
yea but 15psi on a stock block with h/c/i is the limit for sure!!! lol... when a dart block rolls around ill go 20... unless i start a new project... never can tell me with lol
Old 08-11-2007, 09:18 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Yeah i hear that, after the KB i'm thinkin bout building myself a new block.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

94 GT
.447/.447 lift cam
5.0 HO Intake
E-7 Heads
19lb injectors
base front bumper
MUSTANG GT rear bumper
GT side emblems

94 Cobra
B-303 .483/.483 lift cam
Cobra Intake Manifol
Cast Iron GT-40 Heads
24lb injectors
special model ECU
Cobra Front Bumper
MUSTANG rear bumper
Cobra Side Badges

That's about it as far as differences go.

Quick Reply: 94 gt and 94 cobra