5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What Brand lifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 PM
92whitelightning
1st Gear Member

Default What Brand lifters

I have the AFR 165 heads with hardend push rods, FR 1.6rr and a TF stage 1 cam.....what lifters should i get....is OEM fine or should i do it right the first time with an aftermarket brand
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What Brand lifters

reuse your old ones if they arent trashed, there are only a couple lifter factories in the entire world and most are just rebranded for other companies.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM
94IVGT
2nd Gear Member

put new ones in. you always put new lifters in with a new cam. if you dont the wear pattern can destroy your cam. i put some FRPP ones inmine they are like 100bucks, cheap insurance.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

94 that was only true with flat tappet stuff. every major engine reconditioning company in america rebuilds and reuses roller lifters. i know, because i used to work for one, and i have rebuilt them myself.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94IVGT

put new ones in. you always put new lifters in with a new cam. if you dont the wear pattern can destroy your cam. i put some FRPP ones inmine they are like 100bucks, cheap insurance.
I put in a new set of Ford Racing Lifters too....I figured while I was replacing everything else, why not replace the lifters
Old 08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
94IVGT
2nd Gear Member

You should always replace the lifters when you rebuild a motor. that is not true that every engine reconditioning shop reuses the stock lifters, most do the right thing and put new ones in. i worked in a machine shop for almost two years and every engine got new lifters, same thing goes at my fathers shop.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Roller lifters/cams don't wear. You can reuse roller lifters if they're not damaged and they're just fine. It's the flat tappet lifters that you don't want to reuse.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I installed new lifters with my build but now i'm wondering if it was worth it...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

that is not true that every engine reconditioning shop reuses the stock lifters, most do the right thing and put new ones in. i worked in a machine shop for almost two years and every engine got new lifters, same thing goes at my fathers shop.
flat tappet yes, 100% you have to unless your sticking the same cam in and putting the same lifters back in the same hole (and even that *may* not work). but rollers are re-used unless the core was starved for oil and they needle bearings are wiped out or something. they get broken down, soaked in a solvent, and the plunger/disk/spring/cup assembly is reinstalled and then checked to make sure they are ok.

all these companies that sell motors at autozone and pepboys and whereever, do you think they can profit if they are buying new rollers? hell no. i have worked in three different shops, and every one of them rebuilt roller lifters and in all the years i was in the shops i cant ever recall having a problem from one.

so go back and read your magazines and throw money at stuff because it sounds good - i'll put that cash to much better use
Old 08-14-2007, 07:27 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

94 that was only true with flat tappet stuff. every major engine reconditioning company in america rebuilds and reuses roller lifters. i know, because i used to work for one, and i have rebuilt them myself.
yea u could reuse them.... unless he got new springs, as in a stiffer spring.... then hell no!! lol... what springs and PRs are u running?? stock?? or were they pre-assembled heads?? the TFS 1 cam has pretty good lift rite??? so u should probably replace springs since u did replave PRs and if u replace springs its a good idea to replace thee lifters too.... comp cam were is i got mine from... my77stang may now a cheaper place tho

Quick Reply: What Brand lifters