5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smoke coming from vent - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default Smoke coming from vent - Help!

Just wanted to find out a possible reason why smoke comes gushing out of my vents by the windshield. It is random and happens every once in a while but itjust starts shooting smoke out.

The A/C or vents are all off and this just starts happening. If anybody is familiar with this problem please help me out. This smoke is not coming from the engine, i've popped the hood and checked it is not smoking but yet smoke is still coming out of the vent...

Just please tell me this is not related to the heater core!

-Jeff
Old 08-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Smoke coming from vent - Help!

A bad core will fog up the windshield and/or leak all over the carpet. Ive never heard of a core smoking tho. I can see how someone could look at a fogging windshield and think they see smoke. Does the smoke smell? Crawl under the passenger side of the dash. Do you smell coolant? Do you smell burning, like plastic or rubber while its smoking? Does it make noise?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

There is absolutely no noise, but I do smell coolant but am not sure if it's related... I'm leaking coolant "sometimes" and it's only sometimes as well. I stopped at blockbuster and came out and there was a whole puddle of coolant. That only happened once though...

The windshield does fogup when it starts to smoke but that is "after" the smoke comes out. It smells like a steamy smell not like fire or smoke but there is no leaking. Under the passenger side of the dash I don't smell coolant, I checked by the heater core and it doesn't smell.

Thanks for the help!

-Jeff
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

sounds like a watery mix of a bad heater core
Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

sounds like a watery mix of a bad heater core
Any idea of a fix? Heater core is not something I didn't want to mess with...

Anybody have any more ideas?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if its steamy, its the heater core.

burning wires or plastic cant create steam.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Yea, youre core is toast.

Just bypass the heater core. Take the 2 hoses off the hard coolant lines that go under the throttle body to the firewall and connect both of those hard lines with a single hose. It wont hurt anything.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:15 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Now is there any reason this would happen right after I finished my H/C/I? It first started right after I turned my AC vents on and the smoke would blow out... but I don't understand why it's smoking when nothing is turned on. It smell like anything but a huge line of smoke bursts out... Again it's only every once in a while and i'm pretty sure the A/C still works.

If I bypass the heatercore I have no more A/C no more defroster or anything? I don't use the A/C anyway but it is definately a nice feature. Oh, the A/C does still work...

Main quesiton... Why would it happen right after my H/C/I... I didn't do anything to my A/C when I put it back in or do a recharge or anything of that sort... I did unplug the two heater hoses from the firewall but not actually from the firewall, from the other end.

HELP... I don't think the heatercore is toasted, it doesn't make sense...

-Jeff
Old 08-15-2007, 02:36 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

hey, make sure it is not just the coldness of the ac causing this. i had a 84 gt & at times it would look like smoke coming from my vent/cowl but it was the ac. good luck.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:05 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

The thing is... Nothing is turned on... I haven't turned my A/C on the whole drive and then all of the sudden smoke just starts drenching out...

There is a POSSIBILITY that the defroster was turned on first... but I believe that was only after the smoke coming out causing the windshield to fog up... I don't remember because my father was in the passenger seat and he didn't remember which one happened first...

-Jeff

Quick Reply: Smoke coming from vent - Help!