5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

h/c/i vs. supercharger; other noob mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 PM
kickasp
1st Gear Member

Default h/c/i vs. supercharger; other noob mod questions

ive been on the board for a little while, but im still looking for the right car to show up, but its definitely going to be a fox body. its going to be 87-935.0/5spd and the car is going to be daily driven, but id like some extra power (who doesnt)to tease the imports and camaros my buddies drive.

first think i wana take car of is exhaust. i know flowmaster sounds great, and it seems like everybody has that. is there something out there that would give similar improvements, or should i just go with flowmaster? also, what size should i go with, 2.5 or 3"?

next, in terms of major mods,which would you do first, h/c/i or a supercharger? i believe they would cost about the same amount, and net me about the same power improvement?. if i end up getting a car with high milage, say 125k or 130k miles, are there some precautions i should take care of? i assume running 93 octane is going to be a must regardless. what about a turbo? or is a turbo alot more money, and i should just stick with thats tried and true?

next issue - nitrous. id rather have the power all the time, but this is definitely an option. again, with high-milage motor, what should i do before deciding to use nitrous so i dont blow up my motor?

suspension-wise, whats a good setup to run? im wanting to lower it a little bit, and eventually run 18x9 in front and 18x10s in the rear. will lowering it prevent me from running 18s?

sorry for all the noob questions[] if they have been asked/answered before i apologize! but thanks for the help!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:48 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: h/c/i vs. supercharger; other noob mod questions

damn boy u got all the questions dont ya.... lets see ill jsut go in the order you had

exhuast... i have flowmasters... and i hate them everyone else has the same boring sound.. doesnt sound bad.. just boring go with borla bassani or slp all great exhaust... cost more but sound a lot better... if u want a h/c/i and a s/c or nitrous get 3in all the way out... might hurt in teh begining cuz of low back presure... well its an agrument newayz i dont believe it but jsut buy part your yout total build and work your way there

next if your getting a fox with 125+ milage and wanna go crazy with it i would do a over haul on it... get it everything done alone with a forged bottom end... and bore it if u need to... they give u another option of just buy a rolling chase and buying a motor and tranny else were... u dont need an aftermarket block unless you goin for more than 500rwhp... so do the h/c/i first if u have a well used block just to be safe since u wanna do a h/c/i you only ahve half the block left to tear down... so for sake of time and saved headaches to the block first

u talk about a turbo... they arent much more money if u have then in you plans from the begining... if you do ull want to pick a kit out before u pick exhuast and ull want 2.5" exhuast no 3" xhuast there are a lot of turbo kits out there for foxes... at least comparted to my sn95 so its really a good option... personally tho turbos make so much power and there are so ezer to tuner up i myself coudlnt but one on a stock block cuz i would break it... u can take it ez.... 10 psi intercooled with a nice h/c/i will get u a safe ez 500rwhp

nitrous is hte ****.. im gettin rid of mine tho so i dont split my block with to much power ... with an NX 100 shot i mean 110rwhp xtra and 225rwtq xtra... its fun stuff

suspension cheap but effective is URP a 18X 9-10 on a fox isnt ez tho so ull ahve to talk to a fox guy about that...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:59 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed

damn boy u got all the questions dont ya.... lets see ill jsut go in the order you had

exhuast... i have flowmasters... and i hate them everyone else has the same boring sound.. doesnt sound bad.. just boring go with borla bassani or slp all great exhaust... cost more but sound a lot better... if u want a h/c/i and a s/c or nitrous get 3in all the way out... might hurt in teh begining cuz of low back presure... well its an agrument newayz i dont believe it but jsut buy part your yout total build and work your way there

next if your getting a fox with 125+ milage and wanna go crazy with it i would do a over haul on it... get it everything done alone with a forged bottom end... and bore it if u need to... they give u another option of just buy a rolling chase and buying a motor and tranny else were... u dont need an aftermarket block unless you goin for more than 500rwhp... so do the h/c/i first if u have a well used block just to be safe since u wanna do a h/c/i you only ahve half the block left to tear down... so for sake of time and saved headaches to the block first

u talk about a turbo... they arent much more money if u have then in you plans from the begining... if you do ull want to pick a kit out before u pick exhuast and ull want 2.5" exhuast no 3" xhuast there are a lot of turbo kits out there for foxes... at least comparted to my sn95 so its really a good option... personally tho turbos make so much power and there are so ezer to tuner up i myself coudlnt but one on a stock block cuz i would break it... u can take it ez.... 10 psi intercooled with a nice h/c/i will get u a safe ez 500rwhp

nitrous is hte ****.. im gettin rid of mine tho so i dont split my block with to much power ... with an NX 100 shot i mean 110rwhp xtra and 225rwtq xtra... its fun stuff

suspension cheap but effective is URP a 18X 9-10 on a fox isnt ez tho so ull ahve to talk to a fox guy about that...

I've heard 3' exhaust is what you want on turbos?????
Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 AM
kickasp
1st Gear Member

thanks for the response crazy. ive still gatta find the right car before i can start with any mods. its going to have to stay as is for a little because im in college paying for my apartment rent. hopefully soon tho ill be able to start dropping money

i have been lookin at the SLP loudmouth setup and i like the way it looks and sounds (according to the sound clips, everyone round here runs flowmaster), and its 3".

as far as rolling chassis goes. id love to go that route and get a built motor and a 6spd, but being in college its just not realistic at this point. basically im wanting to get the stang, and build it up over time while still being able to drive it daily (except maybe for a couple days if major mods are going into it), but for the most part i need to be able to drive it on a daily basis. i do plan on a 6spd tho if the t5 ever goes.

any other opinions/suggestions? thanks