5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WONT START, STARTS ONLY WITH ETHER, PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:15 PM
stang9210

Default WONT START, STARTS ONLY WITH ETHER, PLEASE HELP

Here is my problem, i have a 92 gt and i just redid the top end minus a cam, had no problems with anything on the car before, engine cranks normal but will not fire, only starts with ether and has a very shaky idle, will not stay running on its own, only unless i slightly hold the throttle, engine sounds great when running, dont think i messed anything up internally. I've had the engine running for over a minute with my foot slighty on the throttle but has no power and dies right when i take it off. After that the car will not start up again.

I am getting fuel to the rails and good fuel pressure, but it just doesnt seem like its getting the fuel through the injectors to fire, checked the injector plugs and they are pulsing. I pulled up a code 85 canister purge solenoid failure. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it not starting. Im thinking something may be wrong with the tps sensor, but would that cause a no start?

I changed the car to 24lb injectors and a new prom maf. The injectors are used and im wondering if they could be bad but if the engine stays running really crappy with my foot slightyly on the gas could that still mean they're bad? I don't think its the fuel pump because its turning on fine and I have also checked the inertia switch inside the trunk. Im so frustrated and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 03:20 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WONT START, STARTS ONLY WITH ETHER, PLEASE HELP

Check all your vacuum connections.Also, check your TPS. Make sure it is around .95 volts.(Key on,engine off). You're timing could be retarded too.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
1990Stanger

Check valve adjustments also
Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM
stang9210

would valve adjustments have to do with how tight i bolted down the rockers?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:43 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

yes
Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 PM
stang9210

could this be because i bolted them down too loose or too tight, would slop in the pushrod cause a no start, sorry this is my first project, thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 03:54 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

you havn't clarified one key point here.

after the car starts with ether, does it stay running on its own? or are you continually feeding it ether?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:58 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

maybe it could i dont know for sure, but when u get it running does it sound like a lot of noise in the valve train. also when you bolted the rockers down did you use a feeler guage for the right rocker to valve clearence
Old 08-17-2007, 04:01 PM
stang9210

the car will not stay running, i have to keep feeding it ether or hold my foot slightly on the throttle, to my dad and my neighbor whos a car guy, he thinks the motor sounds good, dont hear any knocking
Old 08-17-2007, 04:02 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeVa

Check all your vacuum connections.Also, check your TPS. Make sure it is around .95 volts.(Key on,engine off). You're timing could be retarded too.
sounds kinda like waht my car did when i did my h/c/i on yours sounds way worse... i was a tooth off... u might be 2 or 3 teeth to far retarded which would keep you form turning the engine over... my would turn over and die rite away if it didnt get ne gas so id a least check it.. its an ez fix... also depending on how ****ty its running and what its doing u might have a vacuum hose loose or a leak somewere... TPS would only cause a bad idle so id say its not your biggest consern rite now but check it if u wish

Quick Reply: WONT START, STARTS ONLY WITH ETHER, PLEASE HELP