5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

intake trouble

Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
FordMustangSpeed

Default intake trouble

Ok, last night i went to clean the MAF sensor and made a bad discovery. Oil coming out of the intake! I know that means engine work but i wan6ted to ask some opinions on what it may be. I'm thinkin it may be a head problem. Thanks all
Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: intake trouble

it means you need to clean your PCV system
Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordMustangSpeed

Ok, last night i went to clean the MAF sensor and made a bad discovery. Oil coming out of the intake! I know that means engine work but i wan6ted to ask some opinions on what it may be. I'm thinkin it may be a head problem. Thanks all
Sounds more like a simple PCV issue. Check the PCV valve to see if it is functioning properly. Chances are, oil is getting sucked up through the valve so you want to make sure it isn't all gunked up.

Then go to home depot and buy an Oil-Air seperator (usually used for air compressors) and install that in the vacuum line that runs from the PCV valve to the upper intake manifold. That should collect most of the oil. Just remember to check it and empty it on a regular basis.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM
bmennen07
2nd Gear Member

why would he want to do that? I would think u could fix the problem and have it run like before. Not have to empty the car every so often. If a problem happens and you dont fix it, your creating another one.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:11 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

And how do you expect him to fix it?

Oil getting in the pcv valve is completely normal.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmennen07

why would he want to do that? I would think u could fix the problem and have it run like before. Not have to empty the car every so often. If a problem happens and you dont fix it, your creating another one.
What the **** are you talking about? Do you even have the slightest clue what the problem is? Oil gets sucked up through the PCV valve and spit into the intake all the time! It has always been that way. People just don't tend to notice it until tehy take things apart or until they get problems with the PCV valve. Putting a catch can in is a very common fix for what basically amounts to a design flaw in the system.

But please, enlighten me as to what you think the problem is and how you think adding a catch can will create another problem. Please tell me how YOU think oil is getting into the upper intake.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:40 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: samseed101

What the **** are you talking about? Do you even have the slightest clue what the problem is? Oil gets sucked up through the PCV valve and spit into the intake all the time! It has always been that way. People just don't tend to notice it until tehy take things apart or until they get problems with the PCV valve. Putting a catch can in is a very common fix for what basically amounts to a design flaw in the system.

But please, enlighten me as to what you think the problem is and how you think adding a catch can will create another problem. Please tell me how YOU think oil is getting into the upper intake.
hehehe i want to hear the answer to this one....
Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Silly new guy... samseed is the dude to answer all ourretarded new car peoplequestions. Take his advice.. it's free and better yet correct.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
FordMustangSpeed

Thanks for the input guys! I'll check the valve asap. Only problem with the catch can idea is that there is no vacuum line attached to the PCV valve. good ol' 5.0's apparently run with an open valve. Last time I checked it ( abouta year ago )I played with the vacuum lines on the intake trying to figure out if the PCV valve would connect toone of them. No matter what I did it always made the car run super bad. But the valve itself may just be jammed. Thanks again
Old 08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If you've got a 94 Mustang and you don't have forced induction, then you should have a vacuum line running from your PCV valve to the upper intake. If someone disconnected that, then it could cause a number of problems, depending on what exactly was removed and was wasn't. There's a proper way to remvoe the PCV system, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a supercharger or turbo.

In your case, if the line is indeed not attached, then you most likely have a vacuum leak which would cause your car to run like ****, or someone did a half *** job and you're gonna have to fix it.

Are you 100% positive that tere is no vacuum line on the PCV valve? The valve sits in the rear of the lower intake manifold ery close to the firewall. It's difficult to get to and see, but it's there. Are you sure you're not looking at something else?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: intake trouble