5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Am I capable of replacing clutch myself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Am I capable of replacing clutch myself?

Ok. Here's the BASIC idea on dropping the tranny to get to your clutch if that winds up being what it is. I just replaced a flywheel. First time ever taking a tranny out of anything. It actually isn't that had. Just time consuming and you do need to pay attention. This is the order I did everything.

First, get some ziplock bags to drop all your bolts into so you dont lose them. Seems like a waste, but nothing is more aggravating than getting it back together only to find one or two main pieces missing. LABEL the bags!!

1.) Remove the starter. Just 2 bolts and a couple of wires.
2.) Remove the shifter and set aside.
3.) Raise the car as high as you SAFELY can. You can jack the rear up by the differential. Just be careful when doing so.
4.) Remove the driveshaft. You will need a 12point socket (I believe a 12mm, but double check) to do so. Do not use a 6 pt. If you don't have a trans plug to plug the output shaft, wrap a plastic bag around the back. It WILL pour out if you aren't careful, and trust me it tastes like crap.
5.) Remove the rear exhaust hanger bolts. Should be 2 per side. Make sure your jack is under the exhaust supporting it's weight. I did not have to remove my exhaust. By lowering it, I was able to work around it. Yours might be different, so be prepared to remove it.
5.) Unplug any wires to the trans. Don't forget about your speedo gear as well on the driverside.
6.) Remove your clutch cable.
7.) Carefully center the trans on a jack if you do not have a transmission jack. Two people is ideal, but one can do it if you are careful.
8.) Remove the transmission crossmember. 2 bolts from the trans mount, and one per side on crossmember. Set it aside.
9.) With the transmission CAREFULLY balanced, remove the bolts from the bellhousing to the engine block.
10.) Slowly ease the transmission away from the engine watching to make sure you clear the exhaust if you did not remove it.
11.) Lower transmission to the ground and remove.
12.) Remove the bolts from the pressure plate. Clutch will come out behind it, so don't yank it out without holding onto the clutch.
13.) Inspect flywheel for damage. Check the teeth, the surface and so forth. If it needs replacing, do it now. Sucks to do it twice.
14.) Install new clutch.

Everything else is a reverse assembly.Remove the bellhousing from the tranny and reinstall it back on the motor first. Will make life a lot easier and is a lot easier to line everything up. Also, don't crank on the tranny bolts too hard. I snapped an ear off my T5 doing that, and it's expensive to have someone weld aluminum.Use auto trans fluid to top off the tranny. Pour it in via the hole on top of the trans for the shifter. Usually doesn't take TOO much but that depends on how much you spilled.

Hope this helps somewhat. Anyone can chime in with anything I might have missed.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

only thing i would change is i dont drop the bellhousing w. the trans... i drop the two separatly... works better for me that way... i work at a shop... so clutch work isnt uncommon for me...

however what your describing does not sound like a clutch issue... if you needed a new clutch it would slip.... does the clutch slip at all?

sounds to me like your clutch/cable is out of adjustment, or you syncro's are starting to go, which would mean getting the trans rebuilt... no offence at all, but if ur asking if u can do a clutch, you can not do a trans rebuild.... ur gonna prob get charged 1000+ to rebuild it... might aswell just order a rebuild one from ddperformance.com(i purchased my rebuild kit there, i wont ever spend a dime at www.astroperformance.com again)... again that is if its not ur clutch adjustment

stock cable/quadrant or aftermarket?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

have you tasted tranny fluid...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

me... na cant say i have. lol... its not hard to not do that, lol.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

haha not you dimebag... you posted before I finished my post and I was too lazy to quote lookin4astang haha

ORIGINAL: lookin4astang

4.) Remove the driveshaft. You will need a 12point socket (I believe a 12mm, but double check) to do so. Do not use a 6 pt. If you don't have a trans plug to plug the output shaft, wrap a plastic bag around the back. It WILL pour out if you aren't careful, and trust me it tastes like crap.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah tranny fluid isn't tasty. neither is brake fluid. i dont mind gas, tho.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I have never tasted any... but I like the way gas smells haha
Old 08-21-2007, 01:03 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

you might want to disconnect the battery before you start. spray all those nuts/bolts the night before & again before you start. if you are not sure it is your clutch, have a mechanic to check it to make sure . make surethe car is safe before you get under it. good luck.luk.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

get yourself a haynes manual there very good .. i did my head gaskets without having any other experiance than you described using just that manual ; O)
Old 08-21-2007, 03:21 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

Dude, if you know your way around a car and know what does what, what goes where, you should be fine. Maybe grab a couple of your buddies, and grab a case of beer and do it on a weekend

Quick Reply: Am I capable of replacing clutch myself?