MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   rear end removal (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/335033-rear-end-removal.html)

FivePointOhh 08-22-2007 08:51 AM

rear end removal

i just replace my U joints and also discovered that my break line....ruptured which is yet to be fixed. but while i was down there i noticed the original paint down there is flaking and looks pretty terrible along with other dirt and grime......if i removed my suspension and rear end cleaned everything, painted, would the reinstall of the rear end just bolt in? is there allignment issues? is it possible to get things out of allignment? also when i do this i can upgrade as i put it back together such as upper and lower control arms and removal of quads and i can sand and paint my rusty rear end.

WhiteWindsor 08-22-2007 10:03 AM

RE: rear end removal

Yes to all of that. I have dropped many rear ends, though the last one was over a year. I dont think it is possible to bolt it up wrong.

FivePointOhh 08-22-2007 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Yes to all of that. I have dropped many rear ends, though the last one was over a year. I dont think it is possible to bolt it up wrong.
so i would have to get an allignment when im all done? is it driveable to get it to like a firestone or some allignment shop? do i have to measure axel distance and cross measure to be square and all that? or does it just bolt up/line up and drive off into the sunset?

WhiteWindsor 08-22-2007 11:18 AM

Just bolt up. There is really no alignment for the rear.

FivePointOhh 08-22-2007 11:43 AM

sweet! hey you wouldnt happen to know for sure. are the break lines standard or metric? i bought a standard break line flaring tool with line bender.i assume standard since my chilton book says 3/16" break lines. but also in fine print on the picture is says 8mm right by the 3/16" but then again that doesnt make sense either.

WhiteWindsor 08-22-2007 12:03 PM

i'm not sure about the brake lines, but i'm sure someone will chime in let you know.

FivePointOhh 08-22-2007 12:40 PM

anyone know?

AdderMk2 08-22-2007 01:07 PM

they are stadard thread... but if you are only replacing a small section of the line... it doesnt much matter

CCF5000 08-22-2007 01:08 PM

Im curious about this also if its possible to pull the rear end out and put a new one in yourself or is it too dangerous and better left to two ppl?

FivePointOhh 08-22-2007 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: CCF5000

Im curious about this also if its possible to pull the rear end out and put a new one in yourself or is it too dangerous and better left to two ppl?
tow straps, floor jack and jack stands. you can do it by yoruself. just take your time. and if it seems too difficult your doing it wrong.