5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

? will a increase in hp hurt my times cus of rev limit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ? will a increase in hp hurt my times cus of rev limit

Here's a tip.......never mind the dyno numbers, concentrate on the important numbers........ at 114 mph the minimum ET you should be able to do is ~11.96 seconds......if you change gears you could be making it worse. What were your 60' numbers?.....you should concentrate on the areas to reach that minimum possible ET (suspension, traction, etc) first.......besides, what's the difference in rpms going to be?.....+ 300?... +200?....+500?......SBF's can handle that difference.......IMHO.......just a thought.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 5.0kid

k ill prob go to like 3.55 but maybe 3.31
You need to go tho the track before making those changes. It's not uncommon to run through the traps at a higher RPM than your shift points. If you need a more gear a swap to a one or two inch taller tire will get you the same end result, with less work (maybe you can borrow a set for a couple runs?) As was stated by Joel5.0, you need to work on your launch and suspension first, I have a feeling your car is not very consistant as it sits right now. BTW you should never have to shift into 5th in the 1/4.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

thanks. My problem is that i think ill be running out of gear, which will make me have to switch rear end gears to make it down there with out hitting the limiter, by the way my best 60' is a 2.23 i have stock suspension minus monroe shocks and uretheane bushings, i dont really want to do anything with the suspension this year because it is my daily driver everyday, i drive to school, work, friends houses etc. i even drive it in the winter with snow on the ground (change out the dr's for nitto 455's though) after my final year of high school here im going to start upgrading it.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

I've never heard of any danger shifting into 5th in high rpms. In addition to all of the other stuff that's being said, a switch from 3.73's to 3.55's wouldn't be significant enough to be worth time, money, or effort. 3.27's would be my vote as well, but you still shouldn't be having that problem. See above posts
Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

so ur saying that i shouldnt have a problem with the rev limiter on next time to the track. I guess i will find out next wednesday at test and tune
Old 08-23-2007, 06:46 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

yea 3.27's sound good.... they max out around 140 in fourth..
Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

IMHO, Joel and JD1969 are correct on this deal.
2.23 for 60', WTF, you got some work to do...............
Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0kid

thanks. My problem is that i think ill be running out of gear, which will make me have to switch rear end gears to make it down there with out hitting the limiter, by the way my best 60' is a 2.23 i have stock suspension minus monroe shocks and uretheane bushings, i dont really want to do anything with the suspension this year because it is my daily driver everyday, i drive to school, work, friends houses etc. i even drive it in the winter with snow on the ground (change out the dr's for nitto 455's though) after my final year of high school here im going to start upgrading it.
OK, OK.....let me get this straight.......you have a 386HP car (based on RWHP dyno runs) running 12.6 seconds (=underachiever), and you would rather make it slower in the quarter mile by changing rear gears, even though you know it can make 11.9x's by doing some work/upgrades in areas other than gears, .......because you think it'll run out of gear........and would rather do modifications that will make you slower, with all that HP, instead of the ones that'll make the car faster?......[sm=WTFsgign.gif].......

386hp in a car that doesn't win races = a waste......I would be worried when you encounter a 315hp setup, beating you for almost a full second. HP figures look great on paper, but ET is what counts........
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

im making 474 not 386 and i could make my 60' faster but i dont feel like blowing up the rear end or the trans by side steping the clutch
Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

dude... get a better tire... **** the nitto, get a m/t... thats step one(and get a slightly taller tire too... itll give you that extra little rpm ur worried about, and being taller, youll hook a lil better too... a little)

step two... learn how to launch ur car... my stock as all **** mustang w. a stock 3.08 short times better then that car, thats not right at all

step three...we cant really tell you exact answers anyway... we can give you ideas , like were doing but the fact is that were not there, its not our cars, we dont know how ur track it, nor do we knw how good of a driver you are...way to many variables for us to give exact answers

Quick Reply: ? will a increase in hp hurt my times cus of rev limit