5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

plans for a budget build 5.0

Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default plans for a budget build 5.0

Okay so we are working on our 1994 GT 5 speed vert here. I am in the middle of trying to buy an engine from a 87 GT. The guy says it's all apart but he can sell me it all complete. Just waiting on word for what he wants for it and such.

This coming spring I'm taking an advanced engines course at school and I already talked to my instructor and he said I can go ahead and build this in the class and use it for my class credit!

So my plan for the engine is to rebuild the bottom end pretty much stock, but fresh rings, bearings, seals, etc... I'm thinking about upgrading the rings to maybe chrome moly? I have been told you have your cast iron rings, then your chrome moly, and then plasma... I figure a step up from stock wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Now I'm on a budget and I'm only looking to put down about 300 horsepower at the wheels. So I have read about these GT40 heads. I thought I would top off the engine with the GT40 heads, a cobra upper/lower intake, and a ford racing cam... would these help me get to my horsepower goals? Could any of these be bought used? What should be bought new? Will the idle be noticeable? I want a definitely noticeable idle without shaking the car to pieces. We will be upgrading the clutch at the same time, probably to a King Cobra... any advice here?

Any information you can give will be helpful. This year we are putting 3.73s in the car and come summertime next year it should have a fresh engine in it.

BTW any idea what this car should run with all this stuff said and done? Could I break into 13s with a good driver?

Thanks all in advance!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: plans for a budget build 5.0

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

Okay so we are working on our 1994 GT 5 speed vert here. I am in the middle of trying to buy an engine from a 87 GT. The guy says it's all apart but he can sell me it all complete. Just waiting on word for what he wants for it and such.

This coming spring I'm taking an advanced engines course at school and I already talked to my instructor and he said I can go ahead and build this in the class and use it for my class credit!

So my plan for the engine is to rebuild the bottom end pretty much stock, but fresh rings, bearings, seals, etc... I'm thinking about upgrading the rings to maybe chrome moly? I have been told you have your cast iron rings, then your chrome moly, and then plasma... I figure a step up from stock wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Now I'm on a budget and I'm only looking to put down about 300 horsepower at the wheels. So I have read about these GT40 heads. I thought I would top off the engine with the GT40 heads, a cobra upper/lower intake, and a ford racing cam... would these help me get to my horsepower goals? Could any of these be bought used? What should be bought new? Will the idle be noticeable? I want a definitely noticeable idle without shaking the car to pieces. We will be upgrading the clutch at the same time, probably to a King Cobra... any advice here?

Any information you can give will be helpful. This year we are putting 3.73s in the car and come summertime next year it should have a fresh engine in it.

BTW any idea what this car should run with all this stuff said and done? Could I break into 13s with a good driver?

Thanks all in advance!
Wow thats one crap-tastic parts list if i have ever heard one...

GT40 heads = better than E7's but still....
Ford cam = why even bother? There are so many other cams out there for the same money that are much better.
Cobra Upper/Lower = again its ok, but theres much better for the same price... look into edlebrock and holley intakes.
King Cobra Clutch = Big Box O' Crap
If you did this exactly like you said... you will be no where close to 300 rwhp
Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 AM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

I guess the best question that could be asked in this situation...Is how small/large of a budget do you have? 300rwhp is not a problem at all if you build smart.

So...How many duckies you wanna spend. I will throw youa parts lits right down to the last fastener
Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

why knock the king cobra though? I had that on my old car and loved it....

Ummm I'm not really sure. I probably want to spend $1000-2000 over a period of time as I get all the parts together, and I'm sorry for it being a crap-tastic list I just did some reading and it was an idea I had.

Sooo give me some direction! What setup won't cost me too much that will get me there! That's the whole point of my thread was to help me figure out what I should buy. Is there any harm in buying used parts if they don't have too many miles on them?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 AM
CCF5000
2nd Gear Member

With a setup similar to what you described my car put down 268rwhp and 296rwtq through a 5 spd. My best runs with a bad driver are 13.7@103mph with 104mph being my highest trap. Imo If your shooting for 300rwhp i'd go with a set of AFR 165 heads, Trickflow Stage 2 cam, and I'm not really sure what intake would go well with that but i have heard good things about the holley systemax. Do those and all the good boltons and you should be there if not close.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Mr. Classic EFI
2nd Gear Member

This thread fits into Ideas I have too, hopefully I can ask a few questions that aren't OT.
A little background. My car is a 65 2+2(about 500lb lighter thana fox body), with a stock 92 5.0 EFI, AODE-W tranny, 3.25 Trac loc
The only performance numbers I have at this point is from a G-Tech 14.53@101-I figure the car should be 13's easy st the strip.

Monkeydude3's parts list is close to stuff, I have sitting on the shelf; 65mm TB, 70mm MAF, Exploder intake, and a set of AFR165's(no-smog 60cc) My goal is a torquey Street engine 300-325HP, would do fine.
So with this in mind,
1st question, Why not the Exploder GT-40?? I thought it is a good bang for the buck, up grade.
I've seen msot of the moderate HP Fox guy's use 70mm TB's, wouldent a 65mm be better at keeping intake velosity & torqueup??
Any input is appreciated. If this post is too OT just let me know, I'll start a seperate thread.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Hmm... hmm.... I am hoping I can buy each of these components to the puzzles for $500 or less at a time, and I will probalby go used because I don't see the need for brand new if they are in good condition. I'll check it all over in the shop with the right tools, put some new seals and springs in and be good to go.

Keep it comin I appreciate your input!! and mr classic I think you are on the same idea as me!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:02 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

where do you reccomend I buy these parts?