5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1994 GT convertible upgrades..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:55 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Default 1994 GT convertible upgrades..?

I know there are about 9,000 guides out there that make suggestions on what to do in what order and blahblahblah, but I figured it couldn't hurt to put my ideas out there and get a general consensus from everyone here..

I've got a 1994 Mustang GT convertible (it's been in the family since 1997), and after doing a bit of fixing on it (I shredded the last pressure plate--cracked all the way through in two spots and partially through on a few others: http://ksufootball.com/Jordan/Vehicles/Mustang/Destroyed%20Clutch%20(02-25-2005)/Destroyed%20Clutch%20008.jpg ..Yes, I'm stupid.) and some general maintenance, I'm itching to go in and put just a little performance into it. I'm up to 114k, so I'm not sure how much I can really put into it at this point without doing permanent damage to the engine--I really don't know.

I don't intend to ever make this some sort of drag strip vehicle, it's just my cruiser. The fastest I ever ran it was 14.95, which is less than 'awesome'.. mid-13's would be nice, but meh, it doesn't really matter.

I'll be getting it painted shortly, as I added some pretty ugly scars down the passenger side of it my senior year of high school (yeah, inexperience with gravel, a schoolbus (going the opposite direction) taking up the whole road, and a ****** wire fence yield pretty crappy results), so that's an immediate ~$2,000 I'll have to spend. In addition, my headlights suck, so I'm looking at a 6pc set (Cobra knockoffs, IIRC, but they may be "OEM") that will cost me $225 shipped.

I don't have a ton of money to work with (immediately, anyway), so please keep that in mind when looking at my options.. This is probably going to be a gradual process--it usually is.

Here's what I'm thinking about getting, and in what order:

1. Short-throw shifter. Not quite sure which to get just yet, but I absolutely can't stand the damn OEM shifter. Plus, my boot has a tear in it and it's not looking so hot. Figuring on $150-$200 on a shifter (not sure if that's at all reasonable or not), and probably $50-75 for a new boot of some sort (OEM or otherwise, depending on which shifter I go with).

2. Cold-air intake. Looking at the K&N 57-2511 kit (http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-2511). That'll cost ~$150-175

3. Flowmaster 40-series exhaust system (not sure on mufflers), planning on chopping out the cats. About ~$300 for this, I believe..?

4. Other. This would be where I might start getting nuts, maybe adding headers, u/l intake manifolds, etc.. It'll probably be a while before I hit this point, since numbers 1, 2, 3 (plus paint and new lenses) will cost me almost $3,000, which is sadly about what my baby is worth in its current condition..

Any suggestions would be great. Like I said, this is just a cruiser, so if I could get it to 300rwhp, that'd probably be about the furthest I'd ever take it, barring complete insanity on my part (it's been known to happen in the past, heh).

Oh, and one more thing.. While I'm not overly thrilled with my stock rims (You can kind of see them in this picture: http://ksufootball.com/Jordan/Vehicl...20Enhanced.jpg). I'm too poor to go buy new rims (I'd probably go with the rim style from the later GT's, like these: http://webpages.csus.edu/~pc35/1996_Ford_Mustang.jpg).What's my best option for tires? I have Ventus 225/55R16's right now, and I was thinking about going with something wider, but I'm not sure I can really even get much wider than 225's on my stock rims.. I know, I'm really showing my lack of knowledge here--sorry.

This turned out to be a much longer post than I had intended..Sorry. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks, guys.

-Jordan
Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Jmag034
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1994 GT convertible upgrades..?

Short throw shifter -- whatever you want
Exhaust, OR/H pipe with Flowmaster catback $375, or $250 if youre just gonna punch the cats out of the stock pipe

CAI -- get a cheapo ebay one for $35-40, they are all the same

then, U/L control arms $200

btw though, 14.95 in a bone stock vert is a VERY good time
Old 08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

I got a94 myself,Just get summit exhaust its all flowmaster stuff and cheap. tubular gt40 is badass although im not sure it fits under the stock 94 hood. Other than that trickflow street heat which is the cheapest aftermarketor the even cheaper regular used gt40 would support 300 rwhp. I would just go with only the steeda 19 cam. Heads everyone will tell you different. Id just wait to find a good deal on some used ones just about all will support 300 rwhp. But get gears before everything else!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

steeda cam???? did someone say... Steeda cam??!?!?!?!?!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jmag034

Short throw shifter -- whatever you want
Exhaust, OR/H pipe with Flowmaster catback $375, or $250 if youre just gonna punch the cats out of the stock pipe

CAI -- get a cheapo ebay one for $35-40, they are all the same

then, U/L control arms $200

btw though, 14.95 in a bone stock vert is a VERY good time
Thanks for the compliment on my 14.95 mark.. I don't really consider myself much of a driver (I've never been so great at shifting and my reaction time isn't so amazing), so I never really thought of that mark as anything overly special.. I've gotten a lot better (at the aforementioned problems) since then, so maybe it's time to go back out to the track and give it another go..

Should I go for a cheapo intake and a short-throw shifter for now? I'd really like to get the exhaust and CAI at the same time, but I probably don't have enough dough for that. :P

Thanks for all of the posts, guys. I appreciate it.

-Jordan
Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Dont get a CAI... remove the air silencer in the fenderwell, and install a K&N drop in filter

If you decide to get a STS (short throw shifter) Get something like the B&M ripper, or Pro5.0
Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

..no CAI?

I guess it's not like it's really going to get me much (if any) HP gain, so it doesn't really matter..any easy guides on removal of the silencer?

And the Pro5.0 looked decent to me, so it was a consideration.. I'll go see what I can find.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I have not had a chance to drive a car with a pro5.0

But I put a B&M ripper in my fathers car.. and man... that thing is sweet.

and yes... no CAI. most kits you buy have a metal tube... which, if you think about it... is going to absorb under-hood heat, and just end up heating the "cold air" that the intake is bringing in.

A K&N drop in is your best bet. As far as the silencer goes.... its pretty self explainatory once you get the whole air filter housing out.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Jmag034
2nd Gear Member

well adder, the only reason i say to get a cheapo CAI from ebay, is because youre going to end up spending a good amount on an K &N filter, that costwise they are almost the same...find me a K & N for under $30 and then you have cost savings

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-25-2007, 11:42 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

I got a C&L 76mm CAI for my 94, it was a nice improvement over the clean K&N w/o the silencer. The thing cost $250, but includes a 9" filter, 76mm MAF housing, thick tube, and heat shield. If you get one be sure to disconect the battery cable for 15-30 minutes.

Any kind of mid pipe will help, esp. on the SN95 cars. Then add your mufflers of choice. I got a catted H-pipe, made by Catco, from Sumit Racing (Part # CTO-4666). It worked nice as far as sound and power goes.

Gears, like 3.55 or 3.73, would drop a few tenth off the1/4 mile and not kill your MPG.

You said you got the basic things, so I assume your fuel filter is good, ignition componets are fresh, the T.B and MAF senor are clean, your oil/fliuds are clean, and the tire pressure is correct? Basic maintainence is key to maxium performance.

Quick Reply: 1994 GT convertible upgrades..?