5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Water Pump bolt stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
ImRichBitch

Default Water Pump bolt stuck

I am replacing my water pump on my 88lx and i have gotten all but one of the bolts out. The bolt did not break, and it is unthreaded and sticking out about an inch and easily turns, but it will not pull out due to what im guessing is alot of rust and crap keeping it stuck in there, its stuck in the engine and not stuck on the water pump as i can move the water pump easily. Any ideas on how i can get this bolt out? I have tried prying it while turning it but it wont budge. Please help!

Thanks
Old 08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Water Pump bolt stuck

ORIGINAL: ImRichBitch

I am replacing my water pump on my 88lx and i have gotten all but one of the bolts out. The bolt did not break, and it is unthreaded and sticking out about an inch and easily turns, but it will not pull out due to what im guessing is alot of rust and crap keeping it stuck in there, its stuck in the engine and not stuck on the water pump as i can move the water pump easily. Any ideas on how i can get this bolt out? I have tried prying it while turning it but it wont budge. Please help!

Thanks
you are in a dangerous situation!

take a hammer and crow bar or pipe and break the old waterpump apart where that bolt is and pull the pump out your way. Its cast crap, and will break easy. Heat the area around the bolt and spray w-40 pull it out as you turn counter clockwise, dont be suprised by what you see.

If you dont have a torch get one, they are only 20 dollars ACET(yellow) not propane(blue).

I had a 5.0 thunderbird, this same problem, I broke the ear off the old pump, and grinded the new waterpump where the bolt hole turning it into a slot instead, so the bolt will still allow me to slide the water pump on top of it and still hold the pump to the motor
Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you have some build up in the timing cover.... if it spins freely, give it a good yank, it will come out. However, you will need to replace this bolt, and use a drill bit to clean out the hole in the timing cover
Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode06

ORIGINAL: ImRichBitch

Thanks
you are in a dangerous situation!

take a hammer and crow bar or pipe and break the old waterpump apart where that bolt is and pull the pump out your way. Its cast crap, and will break easy. Heat the area around the bolt and spray w-40 pull it out as you turn counter clockwise, dont be suprised by what you see.

If you dont have a torch get one, they are only 20 dollars ACET(yellow) not propane(blue).

I had a 5.0 thunderbird, this same problem, I broke the ear off the old pump, and grinded the new waterpump where the bolt hole turning it into a slot instead, so the bolt will still allow me to slide the water pump on top of it and still hold the pump to the motor
I don't know if I would go and start doing that....

Get a good penetrating oil and let it soak, it will come out, but it will take some effort.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:41 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

at least his is loose and wanna come out, Ive had quite a few seize into the motor/water jacket.

While Ive seen mechanics snap them and have to pull the engine, ive had alot of sucees using the torch, in extreme cases , heating the surounding area cherry red and going through a half can of penetrating substance.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

had same problem last month on my water pump. if you have a tap you can clean the threads in the block that way. there's enough space when it's apart.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Spin the bolt as you pull on it.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 AM
ImRichBitch

Thanks for your help guys,

I attatched a large set of vise grips on it and after working it back and forthand pulling with all my mite it finally came out.