5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Aluminum Radiators are better why?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:55 AM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Aluminum Radiators are better why?

yes i do know what i'm talking about. the aluminum radiator will run cooler because it is bigger. i never said that an aluminum radiator would run hotter. read the thread and understand the words before you tell someone they are wrong and posting misinformation.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: dillon1340

yes i do know what i'm talking about. the aluminum radiator will run cooler because it is bigger. i never said that an aluminum radiator would run hotter. read the thread and understand the words before you tell someone they are wrong and posting misinformation.
you are giving out the worst information ive ever heard about radiators. how about you read up on your aluminum vs brass/copper radiators and you get your real answer of why aluminum is better. actually let me help you since you will not look it up on your own. http://www.koolance.com/technical/my...radiators.html

and if you wont go there to read it yourself here it is for you

""Copper Core" radiators are touted as offering the highest performance for liquid cooling systems. Since copper has a thermal conductivity 1.8 times greater than aluminum, a copper radiator should outperform aluminum, right? Actually, this is false.

By itself, copper does indeed transfer heat more quickly than aluminum. This is why most liquid cooling companies, including Koolance, base water blocks in pure copper (see notes on corrosion). But one physical property of a material does not dictate performance under every application. This is particularly evident when dealing with extremely thin materials, such as radiator walls.

Thin strips of copper can not be welded or brazed without melting. That means a louver fin radiator that claims to be "all copper" or "copper core" actually consist of multiple materials.

Here we find this radiator to be predominantly brass. Liquid never comes into contact with pure copper, which is only used in the air fins. Therefore, this technique requires a third material to join the two metals, which means the heat transfer efficiency is significantly reduced.

Based on these points, it should not be difficult to realize that an all aluminum heat exchanger will actually transfer heat more quickly than a mixture of different materials:

In extensive testing, Koolance has found our all-aluminum brazed radiators can transfer heat 39-49% ore efficiently than a typical claimed "copper core" radiator (per cubic centimeter of radiator)."
Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

do you think i just made this stuff up? anyone can look up stuff about radiators to support their claim:

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/whyaluminum.asp

i never said an aluminum radiator does not cool as well as brass. I'm giving out the worst information on radiators you have ever heard?

"Designing a brass/copper radiator with wide tubes is not practical because the radiators could weigh as much as sixty pounds. The lighter weight aluminum can be designed with a heavier wall thickness with very little effect on weight. Several major companies including Delphi, Visteon, Griffin, and many others have adopted this theory and no longer make any brass/copper radiators."

that's just one of many web sites that say the same as i do. get off your high horse. I NEVER SAID AN ALUMINUM RADIATOR WOULD NOT COOL AS WELL AS BRASS, why does it matter how it does it?

here's another one:

http://www.carolinarodshop.com/Store...in/griffin.htm
Old 08-29-2007, 12:44 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i highlighted what i said was terrible information. aluminum does not runner cooler because it is bigger. its the fact it can disapate heat faster than brass/copper. just as it illustrated above.how about you chill out and read the post correctly.