5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can't get smooth idle!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 AM
tiburon
1st Gear Member

Default Can't get smooth idle!

I have an 87GT, stock,and I'vetried everything I can think of to smooth out my Idle (TPS .98, IAC, new cap, rotor plugs and wires, replaced fuel filter, set timing, EGR,cleaned TB) recently I checked for vaccum leaks with carb cleaner but could not find any. However I can hear a slight hiss near the top of the engine in front of the upper IM but cant pinpoint it, maybe thats normal.Im not getting any codes either. This is driving me crazy because the car runs great otherwise, just this annoying"lumpy" idle. Kind of a pulse you can feel but no pattern. It shakes the car a bit and it is primarily at idle but youcan still feel itif you increase RPM up to about 1500 or so.Im guessing its not a miss because it only does thisin neutral, not under load. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can't get smooth idle!

mine was doing it I had a plugged injector not sure if that helps but I did all the above so I swapped out injectors problem solved
Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
tiburon
1st Gear Member

thanks, I had my injectors cleaned with that Teraclean system about a couple weeks ago it seemed to help a bit at first but now its back to the way it was before the cleaning. Maybe the injectors are just really bad and should be replaced?

Are you stock? and if you are, did you replace with 19's. Where did you buy your injectors from?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tiburon

I have an 87GT, stock,and I'vetried everything I can think of to smooth out my Idle (TPS .98, IAC, new cap, rotor plugs and wires, replaced fuel filter, set timing, EGR,cleaned TB) recently I checked for vaccum leaks with carb cleaner but could not find any. However I can hear a slight hiss near the top of the engine in front of the upper IM but cant pinpoint it, maybe thats normal.Im not getting any codes either. This is driving me crazy because the car runs great otherwise, just this annoying"lumpy" idle. Kind of a pulse you can feel but no pattern. It shakes the car a bit and it is primarily at idle but youcan still feel itif you increase RPM up to about 1500 or so.Im guessing its not a miss because it only does thisin neutral, not under load. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
A 5.0 does not hiss, check the egr vacumm motors and tubes on the passenger side fender area, they have black caps check there for vacumm leaks and the tubing. Inspect your fuel pressure regualtor line , all mainfold ports and your vacumm tree near brake booster.

If the intake manifold(lower) has been removed, a special sequence is required to seal it flush along with some rtv/, unfortuanately there is no way around this trust me
Old 08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
tiburon
1st Gear Member

The lower IM has not been removed but I will check around the ports again for leaks. Which is the fuel pressure regulator hose, is it a vaccum line?
also, where do you find the egr vaccum motor, and for that matter what does it look like?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tiburon

The lower IM has not been removed but I will check around the ports again for leaks. Which is the fuel pressure regulator hose, is it a vaccum line?
also, where do you find the egr vaccum motor, and for that matter what does it look like?
passenger rear fender corner. green and red vac lines.

fuel pressure regualtor line to intake manifold
Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
slickshift
1st Gear Member

The wandering idle is pretty common on these Speed Density engines.
Fixes can include most of what you've mentioned
It's often hit or miss though, there's no one cure for everyone's wander
I also have "cured" it with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator

There's a TSB about it out now, I'll find the link
I have not used the part in the TSB (an idle bypass kit), but have heard from sources I trust it can work well

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12-...-7.pdf#search=
Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
tiburon
1st Gear Member

I cantsay that the idle wanders.It comes offchoke and sits at 800 andthen doesn't fluctuate at all, but it is just a bumpy idle more likean intermittent miss. Thanks for the link though, maybe the IAC bypass is something that would help, although when I cleaned the IAC it made no difference so I ruled it out as the culprit. Any other ideas?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
slickshift
1st Gear Member

What wires and plugs did you use?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:52 PM
tiburon
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slickshift

What wires and plugs did you use?
I used the ford racing light blue wires 8 or9 mm (cant remember) and for plugs NGK platinum. The plugs were not the cheapest or most expensive but they had the tiny thin electrode. Why do you ask?

Also,t he gap looked OK so I went with it, it was way better than what came out. Replacing them made very little difference in idle though.
The gap looked close to what it should be. How important is it to gap your plugs exactly to spec?

Quick Reply: Can't get smooth idle!