5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A lot of questions

Old 09-03-2007, 05:33 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Default A lot of questions

I have my trany location problem but that isn't really as importan as the rest.
I did the battery relocation on my stang lastnight and used my old,already ran 4g. wire. Ran it to the positive side of the battery to the original side of the siliniod.Welded a stub to the floor of the trunk right above the unibody.Now it starts and runs but it has gotten harder and harder to start the car like the battery isn't getting charged back up or something and now it wont start at all.
What did I do wrong?
Whenever it starts and runs and I turn it offf it wirun for a little while befor cutting off.
How come?
Im running (2) autozone 12" eletric fans wired into my ignition power. My car is overheating from this I think.
Are these fans not big enough or what?
I have 4.10 and a t-5 with 26.5 rear tire size. I got a new speedo gear from 50resto the one they said would work but I am doing 50mph now just to stay up with my brother who is doing 40mph
Why, is it the wrong gear?

Thanks Will
Old 09-03-2007, 11:34 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A lot of questions

Anyone please.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

When relocating batt. to trunk you have got to use 2awg or 0awg, so that might be you starting problem. I would not think the dual fans would cause you to over heat, look in to something else for the overheating. As far as the gear goes, they could have told you the wrong one or mislabeled the one they sent. Call them back and ask what you need, if they say same thing as the one you have, tell them what it is doing.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Ok just got home from work, thanks for the replie and I will get some 0awg wire today does it make a difference what kind I use. I can get some from a car audio place or I think homeimprovement stores sell it too.
which is better to use?
Also does anyone know if the motor mounts are made so it can be moved slightly foward or backwards,like on slotted holes.
If not how about do I go moving my motor back an inch?

Will
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 AM
SoDakStang
2nd Gear Member

You need to ground the battery to the engine, not the truck. For a single battery w/ any amount of electronics, you need a solid ground ie the back of the head, front of the block etc.

You can't really move the engine, at least not an inch. If you buy a tubular k member, cut and weld new mounts, yes.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

one battery re-location lotsa times.
I always use '00'gauge welding cable back to the trunk.
I also use a piece of it from - terminal on battery to a GOOD ground and then a second one from the engine block to a GOOD ground on the firewall.
Reason car don't want to turn over is,
1) not enough juice in battery
OR
2) you have lotsa resistance in that 4 ga cable for that long of run...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:07 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Ok I did the 0awg wire today and my new guestion is I reinstalled my msd 6al box today using the msd conection and when I shut the car off it still runs for like 15 sec befor shutting off.
Why is this?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Are your fans and your MSD box wired on the same circuit? the fans still spinning will allow enoough juice to keep the MSD box still on for awhile, till the fans turn off. Wrie them on different circuits