5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

keep EFI or go to carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Default keep EFI or go to carb

k guys here is a quick question, in my fox it will be driven as a street car (for now) but is being made into a drag car to run at the track a couple times a year...now it has 4.30 gears, will have a built AOD, and probably a 408 with a little shot of nitrouse. Now my question is should i keep it EFI or go to carb? Carb would cut down on all the wires and be a little cheaper, but i feel like EFI is more street friendly?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: keep EFI or go to carb

If you want to be able to do all the tuning fast quick and easy without all the headache of efi then for a mostly drag car I'd go carb you'll not have to deal with as many idle issues as a efi and no custom tuning via chips or stand alones .....price will be cheaper too.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Carb would cut down on all the wires and be a little cheaper, but i feel like EFI is more street friendly?
you pretty much summed it up right there, cept a carb will make more power when tuned right. your always gonna have two sides on this debate.

side a) efi is best, let the computer / programer do all the work and then its quickly dialed in right on the money. carbs are a pain to set and may never be dialed in correctly, plus they are finiky and get worse milage.

side b) carbs are best, they are cheaper to buy, easier to repair, cleaner looking, make more power, and can be adjusted with a few simple hand tools. also if you know how to adjust a carb, they can be easier to get dialed in.

me? if im getting into my lincoln town car to get groceries i want my efi, its easy and i dont have to muck with it. if im wanting to play in a go-fast car, i want my carb. this is just my opinion, and everyone has their own - but the two arguements i laid out for ya is gonna be 98% of this thread which leaves the choice in your hands

Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

mmm definatly sounds good........now the next question how do i go about doing this? is there a place where i can get carberated fox body wiring harnesses? or is there another rought i should follow?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:33 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

you look at your harness, and you eliminate the wires you wouldnt be hooking up to injectors, throttle bodies, etc. you can take the loom off the wires and trace em back as far as you can, then eliminate them. you wanna follow the wire all the way from the plug to the firewall plug on the other side of the harness, in case at some point that wire is tagged into another wire you may still need. (ya dont wanna chop something and realize you wanted it)

all you should need under you hood is ignition stuff, headlights and turn signals, horn, alternator, and thats just about it. (im sure i missed a couple things but you get the idea)
Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

what about the computer and all that??
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

With a carb you need no computer. Half of the problems that people post on this forum are thinks like, problem with idle. All those people have fi. Carb is much simplier and can be as effecient. Sell your fi stuff and go carb. Then you can have an engine bay as clean as mine .
Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 PM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

i think im gonna do the same thing and from what i hear it makes more power, but how much can be expected. im going to go with a edelbrock rmp air gap and a 670 street avenger and some good headers and a 100 shot of fun what cam should i run and what kind of numbers should i see from this combo?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

i plan on buying this guys frpp manifold, holleycarb and timing cover. the carb is a 4150 holley.http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/jlsx125/IMG_0278.jpg i want to go with an f303 cam. i want a big lope.how would that setup work? any ideas or do youneed part #'s.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

If you happen to live in an area that does 'smog testing' you should stay EFI.
If not, go carb. Things are all simpler, cheaper.
Just remember, lotsa peeps on this site have NO IDEA what it takes to tune carby.
I've been fooling with them for 40+ years so it's no big deal.
I'd recommend getting a new carb from who ever you want and a jet kit.
Also don't buy the biggest thing out there.
408CID would probably like 750 or so.........

Quick Reply: keep EFI or go to carb