5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anyone Successfully swapped a 2.3 for a SBC

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Anyone Successfully swapped a 2.3 for a SBC

It's not hard to do just fab up motor mounting brackets and rework the cross member along with custom driveshaft and just run a carb......
Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

it scares me[&o]
Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Crude_Drillin

yeahI found a kit with from AJE racing, but I had turned to this site because after 3 hours of searching on the net an old thread from here came up. No tech data was on it, so I started my own thread preparing for lots of crap over it. But theoriginal 302idea wastaken from chevy, '68 RS Camaro had a de-stroked 327- 4" bore 3" stroke 302 c.i. but chevy later scrappedit for the 350 c.i. engine. The kit is kind of pricey, but is everything you need for the front end. Sorry if it makes you guys sick but tons of 350 parts at bargain prices and a limitless amount of blocks and combos make this a real interesting idea for a pavement pounder.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 PM
jrhaden
2nd Gear Member

Yeah im sure someone has and then they realized how much of a f'ing jackass they were they set it on fire and rolled off of a very high cliff. True story i read it on the frickin interweb!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Crude drillin... you are in the wrong place if you want help... we told you to go to LS1.com because there are people there that have done the swap... we have not.. so apparently YOU are an idiot.. because you posted here, then when we told you to post over there.. you argued.

to make it clear for you
GET THE **** OUT
Old 09-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Crude_Drillin

I expected some flak for it but I do know people have done this, and I figured there might be some slight chance that a few were on this site and could offer the Technical assistance needed but I was mistaken. If I take it on and wing it myself I'll come back with pics, tech info and time slips for you guys. Making something out of the norm doesn't scare me.
Yeah... Because no one EVER puts a SBC in a Ford... Like EVERY Model A and Duece on the planet...

If you wanna do something out of the norm, build that 4 cylinder to beat some asses... THAT is unusual and as soon as you bastardize your Mustang you'll just have that 4 cyl sitting around neednig a car too...

Or.. Man up and buy an orphan car... Think the AMC guys running sub 10s just crack open a catalog and order bolt ons?

Old 09-08-2007, 05:02 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Crude_Drillin

yeahI found a kit with from AJE racing, but I had turned to this site because after 3 hours of searching on the net an old thread from here came up. No tech data was on it, so I started my own thread preparing for lots of crap over it. But theoriginal 302idea wastaken from chevy, '68 RS Camaro had a de-stroked 327- 4" bore 3" stroke 302 c.i. but chevy later scrappedit for the 350 c.i. engine. The kit is kind of pricey, but is everything you need for the front end. Sorry if it makes you guys sick but tons of 350 parts at bargain prices and a limitless amount of blocks and combos make this a real interesting idea for a pavement pounder.
The same can be said for sbf motors/combos/parts. They are just as plentiful these days as the sbc stuff.

Hit up JD1969, he can prolly point you in the right direction.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:08 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

check out ls1tech.com and check in there hyrbrid section. lots of people swap in sbc motors. Most say its not worth the effort to put an older 350 in and skip right to the ls1

Old 09-08-2007, 07:51 AM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

crude there are kits and headers available for the sbc swap. i think most of the cars start life as a 5.0 but the 2300 shouldn't be that drastically different. i'm even willing to bet there is an aftermarket crossmember and k-member for this swap. now i'm not bashing what you want to do, i've thought about it many times seeing how stock 302 blocks start splitting in half at the 500 hp level which is something i've never heard of a sbc or bbc doing. take your vette motor and lay it to the side, get the 454 built it mildly hot and drop it into the fox. there are the aftermarket k-members for that. personnally with the hot clearance if you want everything to remain looking stock then run something like the ramjet fuel injection setup which may clear the hood. sorry that i can't say i've done it but i've got maybe two more ford motors than chevy motors laying around the house so i'm going to split one block for sure just to say i did. the rest might go to scrap iron.
edit: o yeah good luck. let us know what you come up with
Old 09-08-2007, 09:00 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Please not another one of these threads, I was in a good mood. Can we just delete this soI don't have to even think about it

Quick Reply: Anyone Successfully swapped a 2.3 for a SBC