5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New here, getting a foundation

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:44 AM
BryanG

Default New here, getting a foundation

Hey everyone. Right now I don't own any Mustang. I've been around late 80's early 90's Dodge turbo vehicles. My last ride was a 1990 Dodge Caravan that ran made it's way around the internet and a lot of people seem to have heard of it. I ran 23psi of boost on alcohol with a 50 trim turbo.

Currently I'm just browsing for my next project. I never really had any interest in Mustangs, always respected their power, until now.

Basically I just need some ideas on what would be the best vehicle and setup for my goals. The reason I would like to get a 5.0 is only because they are far cheaper than the newer models. I have no idea what the performance difference is between the two, but I'm sure there is quite a difference.

Anyway, my questions are, how much boost threshold will the stock short block withstand? Are there any problems in the cylinder head, ie burning exhaust valves? What size fuel injectors and pump would be adequate? Are there any concerns running through the MAF sensor? What year 5.0 would be ideal?

As far as goals go... well I just want to add a little boosted fun in an already fun car. I'm a die-hard turbo guy. This would probally be just a low boost application - probably below 9psi.

Thanks in advance,
-Bryan
Old 09-09-2007, 08:46 AM
richs347
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New here, getting a foundation

87-93: 5L engine, front disc, rear drum brakes, flexible chassis
94-95: 5L engine, front and rear disc brakes,a little stiffer chassis, engine computer is good but not aspower friendly
90-95 had air bags
91-93 had a slightly larger front wheel well for bigger tires, largest rear is a 275 without modifications
94-95 had a much bigger rear wheel well. You can stuff a 315 tire in there.

Both will take about 8psi on the stock block. You can probably strectch it a little higher but the tune is important for the life of the engine. I don't know of any issues with the cylinder heads. On a stock block with 8psi, you could probably run 36 to 42 lb injectors with a MAF to match, custom tune, no FMU. The block will only take about 400hp ona great tune. At that pointor with more hp, your just counting the days for the rebuild. There have been people who have cracked blocks with lessor have run safely for long time withmore, but the 400 level is decent average with a good tune.