5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Lightning injectors & MAF on my 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:49 PM
blown/ho

Default Lightning injectors & MAF on my 5.0

Hey fellas, i got the injectors and maf off my buddys 01 lightning now i have a procharger p1sc intercooled. no i was told by some people that the maf will work but im not sure? Can anyone help me out here? i was also told with them injectors & maf i wont need the fuel management unit?

come on samseed where you at? gimme some help here!!! i want to get my car up to par before taking it to the tuner!

thanx.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Lightning injectors & MAF on my 5.0

LoL. Well I'll give you the short version first. Basically, if you use the Lightning MAF, you will absolutely need to get a tune so that the MAF tansfer function can be entered. Unfortunately, it's not a direct bolt-on like other MAFs are.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Mine works great with a tune on my 94 with a kb.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:14 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, they work great and kick ***.. can't beat the price of them either. but they require a tune to work.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:24 AM
blown/ho

Hey samseed, so it would be better to just get a different maf? also what kind of chip could i get? also i see alot of people using in car tuners. what are them called? like the programmer that is mounted in the car. i want to get it tuned enough to drive it. Also i would like to get a in car tuner so i can tune it as i put new parts on. O and you said to get rid of the FMU right! so ill need to get some new fuel rails and a good regulator to use the injectors. Help me out bro.

thanx, Jesse.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blown/ho

Hey samseed, so it would be better to just get a different maf? also what kind of chip could i get? also i see alot of people using in car tuners. what are them called? like the programmer that is mounted in the car. i want to get it tuned enough to drive it. Also i would like to get a in car tuner so i can tune it as i put new parts on. O and you said to get rid of the FMU right! so ill need to get some new fuel rails and a good regulator to use the injectors. Help me out bro.

thanx, Jesse.
I wouldn't go with a new MAF. If you can get it for free then why not take advantage of it. Just remember that you will have to get a tune and you may hve to get a pigtail adapter for it as well (no big deal.)

The chip won't be something you can get on eBay or anything like that. You will only have two options... either get a dyno tune at a shop, or get a tuner to do it yourself. The Tweecer and the Anderson PMS are two of the more common tuners that allow you to tune the vehicle yourself. But you will need to know what you're doing to even mess with any of those. You could screw things up pretty badly if you make changes while not knowing what you're doing.

To ditch the FMU, you won't need new rails. You'll be fine with a $100 walbro 255lph fuel pump, an $85 Kirban Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, and the new injectors and MAF. The stock rails will hold up just fine.

For now, I'd leave the injectors and MAF stock, and just have the tuner install them so he can enter the proper changes that are necessary to get it to run.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:49 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Fred i thought u said the procharger used a blow through maf, isnt the lightning maf a stock style maf?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
blown/ho

Right on samseed. What kind of chip will i need and where can i get on, also will the chip come pre tuned? can i get one pre tuned for my application? Do i need a chip?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

Fred i thought u said the procharger used a blow through maf, isnt the lightning maf a stock style maf?
Oh ****, LoL. I wasn't even paying attention to the Procharger part. You're right, it is a blowthrough. Good catch!

That being said, a blowthrough MAF would be a much better option. Your best bet would be a PMAS Pro-tube MAF. The bad part is that they typically run around $250. You can get away with using a draw through MAF, it's just not as accurate. Take the stock MAF for example. It can be used, and it will work, but it's not the best option.

That does put you in a dilemma though. Do you take the free Lightning MAF and pay for a tune to be able to use it, or do you just take the injectors and get a Pro-Tube calibrated for your new, free injectors. If you go with teh second option, you tecnhically won't need a chip. You will still want to retard the timing but you won't have to get a full tune (although I would at least do something to make sure your A/F ratio is rich enough.

If it were me, I'd take the free inejctors, buy a Pro-Tube, and maybe borrow a wideband controller or maybe even pay for a few runs on the dyno (usually $50 - $75) to see what my numbers were and to make sure I'm not lean.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blown/ho

Right on samseed. What kind of chip will i need and where can i get on, also will the chip come pre tuned? can i get one pre tuned for my application? Do i need a chip?
If you get it dyno-tuned, then you won't have to worry about what kind of chip to get. They will handle all of that for you. They won't be pre-tuned because the entire point of a dyno tune is so that you have a chip that is specific to your car. In the context that I am using, a chip and a tune are the same thing. (meaning that when i say to get a chip, I am saying to get a dyno tune and have them make a custom chip specific for your application.)

Also, as stated before, if you do use the LMAF, then a chip / dyno tune is 100% necessary. There's no way around it. If you go with a calibrated blowthrough MAF, then a chip / tune is still a good idea, but won't be 100% necessary. Most of the time you can get away with messing with timing and fuel pressure. The chip would give you a few more HP in the second situation, but it isn't required.