MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   AOD transmission question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/343034-aod-transmission-question.html)

speedyyg 09-09-2007 04:33 PM

AOD transmission question

I am working on the 79 302 with an AOD. My problem is when I am adjusting the kickdown cable in neutral the back tires are spinning at 3 mph. Is this normal or is something wrong?The pressure on the gauge is at 0psi, the back is on jack stands. The tranny is freshy rebuilt to the fullest. I don't want to destory this after all the money I paid to have someone rebuild it.

deadcarnahans 09-09-2007 04:44 PM

RE: AOD transmission question

You lost me.
Your wheels should not be turning unless you are driving the car. Turn off the engine and set the parking brake.

The AOD does not have a kick down linkage.

The AOD has TV linkage which is critical and must be set correctly or else. Read the manual for the model year tranny that your car has installed.

speedyyg 09-09-2007 05:15 PM

I am trying to setup up the tv cable at this point. I didn't set the parking break. I bought the cable from Lokar and they are the ones who have it under the kickdown cable section. I personly don't know what the difference is between the two.

LimaXray 09-09-2007 07:35 PM

That is prolly nornal. A manual will do the same thing. it is mor than likely just centifugul force doing that. When the trans is in nuetral, there are still are gears next to eachother disengaged they will still spin the rear tires with no resistance on the tires. also make sure the trans is infact in nuetral. Just because the selector says it is in nuetral, if the linkage/cable is not adjusted it may actualy be in drive.

mjr46 09-09-2007 07:41 PM

kick down cable/tv linkage all does the same just a different name to accomplish the same task.....one uses a cable the other like on an aod is a long rod that is attatched to the throttle linkage down to the tranny that is adjustable and regulates throttle pressure in the tranny as to when to kick it down a gear when throttle pressure is great enough.....to much adjustment and it'll kick down to soon..not enough and it'll kick down to late or not at all.:D

luckythirteen13 09-09-2007 09:09 PM

maybe this will help http://youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

shawnk007 09-09-2007 10:44 PM

Its normal for the tires to spin at a low speed in neutral.

deadcarnahans 09-10-2007 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mjr46

kick down cable/tv linkage all does the same just a different name to accomplish the same task.....one uses a cable the other like on an aod is a long rod that is attatched to the throttle linkage down to the tranny that is adjustable and regulates throttle pressure in the tranny as to when to kick it down a gear when throttle pressure is great enough.....to much adjustment and it'll kick down to soon..not enough and it'll kick down to late or not at all.:D
You could not be more wrong.
The TV linkage determines the line pressure in the tranny at any given throttle setting and must be set correctly.
It does play a role in up and down shift points but you can not leave it disconnected as you can with the C4s kickdown linkage.

speedyyg 09-12-2007 09:16 PM

So I finally got pressure in the tranyand now I find out that when I put the car in gear it dies. With a little gas it will keep going. I am thinking that it is not jetted right. I have not messed with the carb yet. I am just knocking down one thing at a time. Also I installed a floor shifter and when I give it gas the mph goes up. It does this in all gears but Park. I think I did something wrong. What could I have done wrong??

Az_bronco_rob 03-12-2009 11:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about the tires spinning while on jack stands thing unless they were spinning real fast - like it was in gear. There is enough "oil drag" inside the tranny to make an an loaded driveline rotate while the engine is running and the tranny is in nuetral. Before I bolted my driveshaft on, I was surprised that the driveshaft yoke would turn in nuetral and I actually had to shut the motor off to get the tranny back into park after testing it in D.

If you're uncomfortable with it, just set the parking brake.