5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anybody exceptionally good with engines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 PM
MustangJunkie08

Default Anybody exceptionally good with engines?

Bear with me here, please! I know I'm not the brightest tool in the shed, but I'm the one that built it. lol

I have a serious question, if I sound like I'm stupid just tell me. In my head it can be done, I'm looking for confirmation and possibly a guideline to go with while I'm working on it.

I have a project on my hands right now. I'm completley rebuilding my 94' GT's 302. I want to know if it's possible to covert it from EFI to Carburation (Which I know is) but at the same time completley eliminate the computer system in the car, basically running straight engine. I don't care about emmissions, I could care less about being environmentally friendly or passing inspection (I can buy a sticker.)

I need alot of new elecronics in the car and I just dont have THAT kind of money, but I do have the money and ambition to build a 94 GT engine thats so custom it looks like its straight out of 1967. For a while I've been looking for my own personal "ultimate project" that I could build something nobody else has.

I know EFI is better, I know carburators are a bitch to fine tune, but this is what I want. Is it possible is what I ask?

Also as a side question, call me stupid but I honestly don't know... Is it possible to supercharge or turbo a carburated 302?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Anybody exceptionally good with engines?

yes, all of that is possible... but once you eliminate the ECM.. your entire instrument cluster will be useless
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 PM
MustangJunkie08

I didn't really think about that.. But couldnt I just get a speedo and tach and all the other instruments and do it old style?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you COULD.... but why bother
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
MustangJunkie08

To be honest, I'm rediculously horrible with electronics... I can't, for the life of me, figure out how all the computer controlled components work. I wanna just do away with it. I'd like to keep it but I don't have the knowledge to fix it or get it working to begin with.

I've worked on old cars w/ my uncle all my life, I know how to rebuild an engine... Just don't know how to do that ECM stuff.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

its not hard at ALL..... seriously.

try to keep this thread floating for a while, some people with more carb knowledge that I have will chime in...

there is a link floating around as well.. its like jason fletcher something or another..... try goolging that name
Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

well i guess theres never a better time to learn than now...
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: greenstreak9205

well i guess theres never a better time to learn than now...
I refuse to learn about carbs..... waste of time
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 PM
MustangJunkie08

Im sure if somebody took a few days to explain it all to me hands on I'd be able to pick it up but nobody I know cares about EFI, let alone anything relating to a computer in a car.

My uncle used to race a 67 Mustang Mach 1 that ran 8's carburated with no electronics. He had an old fairlane that ran 9's carburated w/ no elecronics, and now he's retired doing nothing but buying and fixing older carburated vehicles... My brother is a mechanic but even if I asked him to he wouldn't take the time to explain it all to me.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Tranny would prolly act up as well as it is electronic...

Quick Reply: Anybody exceptionally good with engines?