5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need help identifying these parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 PM
SOFmech
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I need help identifying these parts

Not hat I am doubting you. I am just trying to learn as much about these 5.0's as I can.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:53 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

yea, i think its a cobra TB.. foxes used the same TB from 86-93. the only different model was the cobra 65mm tb which was made in .. you guessed it.. 93 (F3)

and why do I think its not calibrated.... because stock MAF sensors do not have "calibrations"

when you buy a "calibrated" maf, you are buying a maf that has been electronically altered to give a false reading to the ECM as a way to "trick" the computer into using the proper amout of fuel for larger injectors...

a stock maf is what it is... then the ECU has a transfer function that is programmed in to it which interperates the readings from the MAF as flow.. then adds the proper amount of fuel into the mix
Old 09-16-2007, 12:10 AM
SOFmech
1st Gear Member

Well tat makes sense. The MAF does have the tamper proof torx bits with a white strip of paint. Clearly has not been messed with. Guess I need to search for a MAF that is cal. for 19# injectors. Any sugestions one that would work?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:21 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

wow.. way to NOT listen...

as long as you are running a stock computer.. all you need is a stock MAF
Old 09-16-2007, 01:59 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOFmech

Well tat makes sense. The MAF does have the tamper proof torx bits with a white strip of paint. Clearly has not been messed with. Guess I need to search for a MAF that is cal. for 19# injectors. Any sugestions one that would work?
What adder is trying to get you to understand is that the MAF (in general)is NOT calibrated...

This statement may be a little too far advanced for you at this point in time, but if you stick with us, you'll catch up soon enough.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:50 AM
SOFmech
1st Gear Member

I wouldnt say too "far advanced" for me. I have been turning wrenches for 12 years nowon diesel engines with a couple of my own little projects here and there. Correct me ifI am wrong, if you were to buy an aftermarket MAF,the only thing "calibrated" would be the MAF itself. nothing to do with the electronics mounted to the top of the MAF. I believe something to do with an air tube.I guess I just got a little confused and spoke before I really read the post.I just need to know how to run a larger MAF correctly now.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:07 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you still dont entirely understand... the electronics on top of the maf ARE whats altered...

if you want a larger maf, and dont wanna mess around with tuning.. you would run a 94-95 stang MAF. Its is 70mm and uses the same transfer fucntion as the stock 55mm maf.

But what YOU should consider is that your car has a cobra TB, and a Cobra MAF... look to see if it has blue top injectors and check the computer to see if it is a X3Z... which means its a cobra computer... in which case.. you should leave everything alone b/c you already have an upgraded system
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 AM
SOFmech
1st Gear Member

Well, the guy I go it from was trying to make a "cobra clone". I do have the yellow/brownish top injectors. 19#'s from whatI am told. So where would I look to see if it has a X3Z on the computer? Is it in the engine bay or behind the glove box? I feel like I am being a pain with all of this but I am just trying to pick your brains for all kinds of info. Thanks for all your help so far.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:49 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

passenger side kick panel... pull it out and you will see the computer stuck up in there
Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
SOFmech
1st Gear Member

Hey Adder?
Here are some pics of what I have. Looks like a Cobra computer. Can you confirm? Also, I have yellow top injectors. Should I invest in the blue top injectors? Would it run any better? Thanks or any input guys.

Brett

Quick Reply: I need help identifying these parts