MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Will my car run ok if I put stock stuff back? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/345940-will-my-car-run-ok-if-i-put-stock-stuff-back.html)

91MustangGt 09-16-2007 12:26 PM

Will my car run ok if I put stock stuff back?

Hey guys,

I've got to travel 70 miles from and to work everyday, I get about 11 miles to the gallon and I was wondering what would happen or how would my car run(is it safe) if I put back my old 19 pound injectors and my stock mass air meter. Right now i'm running the car with these modifications
The engine is a Rebuilt 302 5.0 L V8
E303 Cam
1.6 Ratio roller rocker arms
Trick Flow Street Upper and Lower Intake Manifold
73mm Mass Air meter
65 or 67 MM Throttle Body
Cold air intake
BBK 1 5/8th equal length headers
2 ½” H-Pipe
Dual Chamber Flow Master mufflers
Fuel pressure regulator
24 pound injectors
Will the car run well if I go back to the old stuff in order to try and save some gas? All I'm doing is switching back to the old 19 pound injectors and 55mm mass air meter, the fuel pressure i'm running right now is 35( when i had it dynoed they set it at 44p)should i change the pressure again to something else or?

Thanks for your help guys

ponyboy302 09-16-2007 12:34 PM

RE: Will my car run ok if I put stock stuff back?

im no genious but id think youd be defeating the purpose of your other mods

91MustangGt 09-16-2007 12:38 PM

Yeah I know =\ But for now that doesn't matter to me aslong as it runs. I'm going to sell it, i cannot afford spending 114 dollars a week monday through friday on just going to work and a few errands. So I just want to have it running til I sell it and buy another car. =\

91MustangGt 09-16-2007 01:03 PM

Does anyone else know? I am getting ready to do it so I was hoping for some feed back on the subject

ACE 09-16-2007 02:36 PM

Sell it the way it is so you will get more money.

getafewlives 09-16-2007 02:46 PM

sell it and buy a civic:D

5.0stanger 09-16-2007 04:09 PM

I honestly don't think you even need 24lb injectors with your set up(didn't see any heads in you mods) so I don't see a problem. Just set the FP at around 40psi with the vacuum off and see how she runs.

90lxrider 09-16-2007 04:18 PM

2.73 gears

silver91gt 09-16-2007 05:35 PM

the stock injectors and maf are good for 300hp, with your mods you mabye have 250, it might not change anything as larger injectors are just a supporting mod, meaning they dont actually spray more fuel, just if the motor needs more fuel the injectors can supply it.

luckythirteen13 09-16-2007 06:20 PM

those injectors are too big for your setup. you arent making enough hp to need them. you already have the 76mm c&l, for about $20 you can get a 19# injector sampling tube so you can switch back to the stock injectors. if your motor is tuned right, it wont even matter what size injectors you run. many people with 42# injectors get better gas miliage then you do with 24's which means your car isnt tuned right so switching to 19# injectors wont fix your gas guzling. maybe you should turn the fuel pressure back up. 35psi is lower then stock so the injectors may have trouble atomizing the fuel making less hp and requiring more throttle to get moving. lowering the fuel pressure as you have done will not get you better gas miliage. when driving at part throttle or at idle (any time not at wot) the computer has control over the afr. there for, if you turn the fuel pressure down (take away fuel) the computer goes "i dont think so" and opens the injectors longer (more fuel) to compensate for you dropping the fuel pressure. which means turning the fuel pressure down does nothing to save gas