5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD to manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 12:27 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default AOD to manual

i cant decide whether to build and beef my AOD or get like a TKO 600? what u think, would the 6 speed be a direct replacement? thanks!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD to manual

????????
Old 02-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

i would swap to a manual but no need for the 6 speed, unless you have a sh%tload of money to burn. I would get a tremec 3550, they are great, they hold up to abuse and shift great.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:56 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

or just a good T5, they hold up pretty good as long as you dont get too stupid with it. the t5 will be a lot cheaper and they are better than people give them credit for IMO
Old 02-16-2005, 12:57 AM
chriscindy6369
3rd Gear Member

TKO -500 would be fine i use that
Old 02-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dan89lx

or just a good T5, they hold up pretty good as long as you dont get too stupid with it. the t5 will be a lot cheaper and they are better than people give them credit for IMO

i agree, T-5s are well designed transmissions. people bitch and moan about them when they explode, yea well dont power shift 2-3 at 6000 RPM.

i always granny shift, never power shifted my T5 and never will. holds up fine for now.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:59 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

i think the t5 is crap, i would get the tremec 5spd, if you get the t56 you will need drive shaft as well.... i hate auto's so i would def do the swap....
Old 02-16-2005, 07:11 AM
mustang_mike_2003
1st Gear Member

i just payed a shop $1,500.00 just to rebuild my AOD to stock specs... beefing it up wouldve costed more... i shouldve ordered a beefed up AOD from a magizene or somthing but i live in alaska and the shiping would've killed me. sounds like money isnt a probilem for you if your thinking about a T56 swap. Id order a beefed up AOD if you live in the states... the stuff you can have them install is amazing!! A couple of guys from muscle mustangs and fast fords juts installed one on a 10 second turbo 5.0 and it worked better for them then anything else. I wanted to keep it auto because it my daily driver, and I got tired of ALWAYS HAVING to shift, every day, for all these years... its cool at first but it got freekin OLD after a while... A manual swap is a bit of a pain in the ars in my oppionion. you'll lose your cruse controll, have to pull out ALL the pedals and install a whole new unit, and dont get me started on the clutch quadrint. that plastic pice of poop sucks to upgrade and install of the pedals are still in the car..my back still twinges just thinking about it! youll need a new flywheel, new clutch and cover.. have to make sure your drive shaft hase the right slip yoke..BLAHH BLAHH.... it wouldnt be worth my time, but if none of this stuff scares you then id have agree with everyone as far as swaping over to a manual. Im building up a nice stroked 351 in a 88, and im thinking about the T56, because ill only be driving it on the weekends and ill want it to get good gas milage for the long road trips, as well as proformance... nothing cooler then a high tech fule injected motor, with a high tech 6 speen manual. The car will be good for the track, but with the 6 speed ill beable to build up the suspension so she can yank some corners to. lets face it, why would you want a 6 speen instead of a 5 speed?? the 6th gear right? of corse. nothing cooler then going 170mph and having a suspension to take the corners on the highway... its a good way to breath some new life into your mustang, so it feels like a new car again. good luck what ever you decide to do
Old 02-16-2005, 08:25 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_mike_2003

i just payed a shop $1,500.00 just to rebuild my AOD to stock specs... beefing it up wouldve costed more... i shouldve ordered a beefed up AOD from a magizene or somthing but i live in alaska and the shiping would've killed me. sounds like money isnt a probilem for you if your thinking about a T56 swap. Id order a beefed up AOD if you live in the states... the stuff you can have them install is amazing!! A couple of guys from muscle mustangs and fast fords juts installed one on a 10 second turbo 5.0 and it worked better for them then anything else. I wanted to keep it auto because it my daily driver, and I got tired of ALWAYS HAVING to shift, every day, for all these years... its cool at first but it got freekin OLD after a while... A manual swap is a bit of a pain in the ars in my oppionion. you'll lose your cruse controll, have to pull out ALL the pedals and install a whole new unit, and dont get me started on the clutch quadrint. that plastic pice of poop sucks to upgrade and install of the pedals are still in the car..my back still twinges just thinking about it! youll need a new flywheel, new clutch and cover.. have to make sure your drive shaft hase the right slip yoke..BLAHH BLAHH.... it wouldnt be worth my time, but if none of this stuff scares you then id have agree with everyone as far as swaping over to a manual. Im building up a nice stroked 351 in a 88, and im thinking about the T56, because ill only be driving it on the weekends and ill want it to get good gas milage for the long road trips, as well as proformance... nothing cooler then a high tech fule injected motor, with a high tech 6 speen manual. The car will be good for the track, but with the 6 speed ill beable to build up the suspension so she can yank some corners to. lets face it, why would you want a 6 speen instead of a 5 speed?? the 6th gear right? of corse. nothing cooler then going 170mph and having a suspension to take the corners on the highway... its a good way to breath some new life into your mustang, so it feels like a new car again. good luck what ever you decide to do
Damn, $1500 for OEM parts... Thats horrible.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:28 AM
mustang_mike_2003
1st Gear Member

hahaha.. yeah.. i had bought the car with a bad tranny. got a good deal on it though. the tranny had alot of hard parts damage. If the tranny only needed a soft parts over haul, it wouldve only add up to $1000.00

Quick Reply: AOD to manual