5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

charging problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default charging problem...

ok so... the whole story

go to subway to grab some food the other day, get back out, and i had to jumpstart my car w. a buddies car, it wouldnt turn over.
next morning i had to bump it in 2nd to get it to start... not enough power to turn it over
this continues on for 2 or 3 days, having to jump it anytime to start it, then it would be fine running...

after a quick diag. of it at school i realized i had a drain on the batt. comming from my radio/int. light/etc circut.... that fuse is now temporaraly gone, so thats not an issue any more...

also in that diag. i realized my alt. was putting out a whole 12.xx... which is low for the should be 14ish.... and that the wire from the alt to the positive on the batt had 30 some ohms of resistance in it, so we run a new wire, and ohms are donw to 1.xx or whatever... so that wire isnt an issue any more, but still no more then 12.xx of a charge

so i determine my alt is bad, go take one off my friends 5.0, hook it up today, and if anything its worse now.. i was driving w. the head lights on and everyting dimmed untill the car died

took it to work to diag it w. my boss and everything is coming up right, alt is being signaled to do its job, there is power output, but still again only 12.xx ... too low on an alt. that i know is a good alt, or was when it came off of his car last night.

so.... everything is pointing toward a bad alt, that im 99% sure is good, because it was good when it came off his car

any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:24 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: charging problem...

fusable link inbetween the alt & starter solenoid
Old 09-22-2007, 12:26 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea see thats where the 30ohms was at... that wire is now basically bypassed and what would have been going thru it is now running through a new wire

next step is to pull the alt. on it now and bench test both just to be sure that one or both are in fact good... but we cant do that at work so ill do it tm or sunday
Old 09-22-2007, 12:31 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

u still runnin a 75amp alt?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:33 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea a stock alt. i dont run a system, i dont run anything extra for it to make me wanna go buy a bigger one
Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the two thick black wires are the ones that go back to the battery, are those the ones you tested/replaced?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:40 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yup tested both, one came up w. mucho resistance, re wired that one, other came up fine
Old 09-22-2007, 12:43 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

wicked corrosion at the battery terminals or starter solenoid? more specifically inbetween the connecters at the terminal
Old 09-22-2007, 12:44 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

na dude not at all...

see why this one has me thinking? lol....
Old 09-22-2007, 12:47 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

um.. yah. lol.
umm....
i guess recheck the wiring on the main plug, make sure each wire is really doing its job.

geez. i hate diagnosing online.

Quick Reply: charging problem...