5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

H/C/I startup help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Jon82387
1st Gear Member

Default H/C/I startup help!!

hi all, i just got done installing my h/c/i and am down to the last few things including reinstalling the battery. when i went to hook up the battery it started shorting out, so i pulled off the terminals. im trying to figure out whats causing the short but im at a total loss, any ideas on what could be causing the short? i didnt mess with any wiring except what needed to be moved/unplugged in order to do a basic h/c/i install really bummed i figured this would be the last thing id have to worry about [:@]

fixed: grommet around the alternator wire touching the alternator case !!
Old 09-23-2007, 05:43 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: H/C/I electrical short??? help!!

what do you meen shorting out?

also get us some pics on your HCI and your car etc.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Jon82387
1st Gear Member

ya i fixed it edited post and ill work on gettin some pics,

combo i chose was: holley systemaxx II intake/ afr 165 heads/ steeda #19 cam.

goin out for first start now wish me luck
Old 09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Jon82387
1st Gear Member

well just attempted 1st startup, the car started up but somethings not right. im leaning towards timing [:@]
car starts idles sorta rough, but if you give it gas it doesnt rev at all. I checked the fuel pressure its right around 42, i also just checked the cap/plug wire orientation and they seem to be right also..... pretty lost any ideas here?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Sounds similar to my problem, was the timing. I put the piston at TDC of the compression stroke and put the rotor at #1 and it still ran like crap. I got a half-*** reading off the balancer and decided i had to advance the rotor one tooth, fired right up. Timing ftl.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:52 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

ya sounds like timing, i had mine 180 degrees off and it did around the exact same thing
Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Jon82387
1st Gear Member

hmmm well i marked my disty b4 i pulled everything so that itd hopefully all line back up when i put it back 2gether but i guess thats not the case, i went back out messed with it some more by just rotating the disty to advance the timing some and it made the idle run better, but the throttle response and what not is still way off. i'll have a timing light 2marrow to actually check the timing but its way off from the mark i had originally and i took it for a short drive down the road, as long as you dont get into the throttle at all it will run and drive like normal but as soon as i hit the throttle it barely even moves [:@]
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

funny thing is i marked my disty before i removed it also, so no idea what happened there[:@]
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Jon82387
1st Gear Member

well went out 2day pulled the disty moved it1 tooth bam that was it fired up and reved right up. still needs a timing light put on it but its definatly fixed, took it out for a quick spin and wow can tell a great difference. The main difference is from 3-4k + the car pulls like mad i love it

was funny tho on the short drive i noticed the car was smoking quite a bit when i got into it so im like wtf? i get home open the hood the driver side back has some oil coming out somewere so im checking around for the leak then it dawned on me..... when i did the h/c/i i broke the dipstick tube ...... lol! so neways i orderded the dipstick tube on saturday and forgot totally about it(nice to have jegs 10 miles down the road [8D]) so i gotta go pick that up 2marrow after work put that in.

the only problem im really having now is the idle, its surging pretty bad as in i start it up it revs to about 1.5k then drops to 500ish then back up to 1.5k then drops and will eventually die.... any suggestions? i recently changed the IAC valve after i changed it the idle would surge for a moment but if i revved the motor it would be fine.

ill work on getting some pics thanks alot for all the help guys
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

That's just the computer not having any idea what it's trying to control. I'd say it's running lean, but your fuel pressure seems good. Mine did it too when I first started it up after a h/c/i swap. I messed with fuel pressure a bit more and let it idle for a bit, and it stopped doing that. Still ran rough, but it ran. You have to let the computer 'relearn,' so disconnect your battery for 30 minutes (resets computer). Start it up, and let it idle until it reaches operating temps. Don't touch the throttle. Shut it down, and let it cool all the way down. Should behave a bit better after that.

Also, I wouldn't beat on the thing yet. First off, your valvetrain is brand new, most manufacturers recommend 3-4hrs easy break-in first. Also, get it tuned before you rag on it. Some guys run real lean up top with an untuned engine and that's not good

Quick Reply: H/C/I startup help!!