5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wait a minute

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default wait a minute

If i decide to get the AFR 185cc's. I have to get my pistons notched, does that mean i gotta take the whole motor out, bring it to a machine shop, get all new rods and have the pistons notched? thats a lot of work and money if so. reponses ASAP please
Old 02-17-2005, 05:26 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: wait a minute

ORIGINAL: 16FoxBody

If i decide to get the AFR 185cc's. I have to get my pistons notched, does that mean i gotta take the whole motor out, bring it to a machine shop, get all new rods and have the pistons notched? thats a lot of work and money if so. reponses ASAP please
you got 202s ..and stock pistons???
Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

no...the pistons can be fly cut in the car with a dremel and knowing what to do...
Old 02-17-2005, 05:30 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

you dont need new rods, maybe a good idea though with alot of power. you "can" flycut pistons with the motor still in the car but its not the wisest thing to do... besides why spend all that money on heads etc. and skimp on the rest?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:48 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

you dont need new rods, maybe a good idea though with alot of power. you "can" flycut pistons with the motor still in the car but its not the wisest thing to do... besides why spend all that money on heads etc. and skimp on the rest?
so u recommend pulling it out and getting it machine shopped?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Cant you just get new pi stons that will solve valve clearance issues?
Old 02-17-2005, 06:10 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

y send the extra money if you can just get them notched
Old 02-18-2005, 12:40 AM
mustang_mike_2003
1st Gear Member

im a mechanic and ill tell you that the stock 5.0 can handle over 400 hp no problim... 500 if you know what your doing. the only bad thing about notching valvs while the engin is still in the car is the shavings geting into to rings and oil pan. you can easly clean that out though im sure he's not going to be making anthing neer that is he's keepinf it N/A. go down to the local home depo. get a dremil and notch the pistons by taking off the heads and drilling the valve reliefs till the valvs dont hit the piston vlave releafs anymore. its going to take time and patiants. but you can do it over the weekend no problim. you migh want to have a friend help you out to. and if your going to do it let us know. theres a few tricks and pointers youll want to know. doing this job your self will save you loat of cash and if your short on that...this is somthing youll want to do for sure
Old 02-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mustang_mike_2003

im a mechanic and ill tell you that the stock 5.0 can handle over 400 hp no problim... 500 if you know what your doing. the only bad thing about notching valvs while the engin is still in the car is the shavings geting into to rings and oil pan. you can easly clean that out though im sure he's not going to be making anthing neer that is he's keepinf it N/A. go down to the local home depo. get a dremil and notch the pistons by taking off the heads and drilling the valve reliefs till the valvs dont hit the piston vlave releafs anymore. its going to take time and patiants. but you can do it over the weekend no problim. you migh want to have a friend help you out to. and if your going to do it let us know. theres a few tricks and pointers youll want to know. doing this job your self will save you loat of cash and if your short on that...this is somthing youll want to do for sure
[sm=smiley20.gif]

What kind of pistons would you get if you had valve clearance issues?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

The cam I want to use is going to create .544 of lift with 1.7 rockers on AFR 185's what pistons do you guys reccomend?

Quick Reply: wait a minute