5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Revving/shifting:

Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default Revving/shifting:

This is going to be an oddball question.. but here goes... Can someone try to give me an estimate of how high this car will rev? I'll put all the known/assumed details down..

Car has the stock intake upper and lower with the lower being ported, Stock heads with ford racing valve springs, 1.6 rocker arms, looks like upgraded guides, rollers, and has for sure been P&P. For sure has a cam in it.. had comp cam stickers all over it when I got it, but no idea on the lift/duration. Bottom end is hard to tell. It has for sure been rebuilt.. Not sure if they replaced all the components with factory, forged, or had it bored/stroked.

The car revs easily to 5500.. and feels like its pulling harder at 5500 than at 3500. Anyone wanna wager a guess on how high this thing will rev safely?

And as for everything done being done to stock parts.. I think who ever had it built (3 owners back and 2 fields ago), was going for the sleeper look. Looks stock as hell except for the fat welds on the rear and skinny's up front.. but the suspension is aftermarket as well.. Not sure why, but they dropped a lot of coin in the stock heads when they could have swapped them quicker and more easily.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:01 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Revving/shifting:

I know its an oddball question.. but does anyone out there with a similar setup have any input? I may end up having to put it on a dyno to see where it starts actually losing power to figure this out...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Revving/shifting:

that isn't much better than stock.
making power VS part capability is the question here
you might make power at 6500 with whatever cam is in there, but the bottom end wont hold up for long.
i wouldn't take it much above the stock redline if i was you

Search this Thread