5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:19 AM
85mustangGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Full Throttle

first of all they all grand nationals are 231ci v-6 single turbos even the gnx. i only saw the very end of that episode and the pic that i saw of the engine was a hot air car which means there were not intercooled. 86 and 87 were the only years of the intercooled gn. those times are really bad even for a hot air gn. the problem was they didnt do any tuning, gns are picky when it comes to that. there show is kind of stupid because the cars arent exactly the same. first of all one gn had t tops and the other one didnt which means the non t top was lighter and stiffer. also the iroc episode, one had t's one didnt but that brings up a bigger difference: the t-top and convertable irocs came with 305 tpi's not 350 tpi's. they both look exactly the same and you cant tell the difference. also the 350 came from the factory with a steeper rear end gear ratio, i think a 3.27. the bigger turbo isnt going to hurt the low end its just because it was tuned for it. the only thing is a smaller turbo would spool fast usually, but it they were smart a stall converter would be the best thing to get; they could have built alot more boost before they left the light. maybe the exhaust diameter thing is right because i hear people saying that turbos need back pressure to spool right but ive also hurd that no back pressure is needed.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:21 AM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

I saw that episode and was wondering the same thing, y r they running 14s when a stock grand national runs 13s or 12s. i cant see how a bigger turbo would produce that much turbo lag where they actually go that much slower down the 1/4 or that the drivers could b that bad where they r running 2 seconds slower than they should, all grand nationals are automatics so its not that hard to run, but i dont know what could b wrong wit them cars to make em run that slow.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:21 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 85mustangGT

first of all they all grand nationals are 231ci v-6 single turbos even the gnx. i only saw the very end of that episode and the pic that i saw of the engine was a hot air car which means there were not intercooled. 86 and 87 were the only years of the intercooled gn. those times are really bad even for a hot air gn. the problem was they didnt do any tuning, gns are picky when it comes to that. there show is kind of stupid because the cars arent exactly the same. first of all one gn had t tops and the other one didnt which means the non t top was lighter and stiffer. also the iroc episode, one had t's one didnt but that brings up a bigger difference: the t-top and convertable irocs came with 305 tpi's not 350 tpi's. they both look exactly the same and you cant tell the difference. the bigger turbo isnt going to hurt the low end its just because it was tuned for it. the only thing is a smaller turbo would spool fast usually, but it they were smart a stall converter would be the best thing to get they could have built alot more boost before they left the light. maybe the exhaust diameter thing is right because i hear people saying that turbos need back pressure to spool right but ive also hurd that no back pressure is needed.
the less backpressure the better with a turbo