5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 PM
evildoersepiroth

Default Transmission

I have a 93 5.0 with a t5 and third gear grinds most of the time that I drive it esepcially hard. I was wondering if a short throw shifter would fix the grinding at all. My friend claims it won't change anything but that would mean that my transmission has problems. If this will fix or help the problems then which one would be the best to get. Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Green5pt0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission

I've blown 3rd twice on my 92' GT so I tend to think its not going to get any better... be easy on it for now save up about 600 dollars and have it rebuilt with upgraded internals. thats what i did and it was the end of my 3rd gear troubles.
-Green5pt0

[IMG]local://upfiles/12913/C28837F96A014B65BFD14B8B66DCF6D3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

time for a rebuild...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:36 PM
mustang_mike_2003
1st Gear Member

no man your syncs are goin out... T5's are known from having 2nd to 3rd problems, mostly from power shifting. youll have to have it rebuilt. the sooner the better because the longer you drive around with those bad syncros, the more hard parts damage your going to do, resulting in a more expencive repair. Dont think you can just take it easy, and limp the tranny around for another few months while you save up enough cash for the rebuild. it sounds like you dont have much cash, and your looking for a easy way out. dont ... theres no easy way around your problim..i know because im a mechanic. you could save a lot of cash if you pull out the old tranny and take it to a tranny shop. have them fix your fly wheel and but the clutch pack your self and reinstall the tranny your self...shouldnt cost you more the 500 bucks for the whole thing if you do most of the work your self. good luck and stop drivin that tranny around
Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

When you get your tranny rebuilt get the short throw shifter. It will help you not have the same problem again.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:35 PM
evildoersepiroth

My car has 65,000 miles on it and I am the second owner how horrible of a design could it be. I got a new clutch and third gear grinds when i get on it otherwise it basically perfect. In order to make it not grind i have to take like 2 seconds out to make sure it grabs right.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:31 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

whenever you get the syncros fixed, get a shifter with adjustable stops to prevent you from overshifting and messing something else up. A lot of people screw up shift forks from overshifting, my buddy who is a ford tech told me that 05 gt's with a 5sp. come with a B+M Ripper shifter(which has adjustable stops) to help reduce the number of broken transmissions
Old 02-18-2005, 01:52 AM
mustang_mike_2003
1st Gear Member

well you can think of me as a bit of a ford tec and ill tell you that the second to third shift problim will NOT be fixed with a short throw shifter even after the syncros are fixed. ... syncros go out from shifting to fast (power shifting) there only made of soft copper guys, and a short throw shifter will only make shifts faster, and actualy make your syncros go out faster then they did before. syncros alow the counter shaft in the tranny to match the new speed of the gear thats about to become engaged to the input shaft. when you power shift or shift to fast its called **beating your syncros** its when you actualy shift faster then your syncros can keep up with, resulting in gear clash, possibly damaging gears if done offtin enough. just give your syncros time to do there job and youll have a tranny that sticks around rather then finding copper in your gear oil. (we mechanics like to call if panning for gold, because copper in the gear oil is like gold to us, it means your going to have to pay us for a rebuild from all that syncro copper you striped off from power shifting to much) not that this has much to do with this thread, but do you guys know what double clutching is?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

double clutching is shifting to nuetral and letting off the clutch, the pressing the clutch again and putting the car in whichever gear is next. (not sure if you were being sarcastic or really wanting the defenition ) but someone may want to know what it is. I am sure double clutching would cut down on snycro-damage, wouldn't it?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:10 AM
mustang_mike_2003
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan89lx

double clutching is shifting to nuetral and letting off the clutch, the pressing the clutch again and putting the car in whichever gear is next. (not sure if you were being sarcastic or really wanting the defenition ) but someone may want to know what it is. I am sure double clutching would cut down on snycro-damage, wouldn't it?
bedy guud gdass haa paa... id sugest only double clutching the 2-3 shift as thats really the only syncro that needs the extra help...

Quick Reply: Transmission