5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Whole lotta shakin goin on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Whole lotta shakin goin on...

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

look at the harmonic balancer
The what? [&:]
Old 09-25-2007, 12:43 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bbbngowc

The harmonic balancer is a dampener to reduce the vibration on the crank.. it will look somewhat like a pulley with no belt going to it on the end of your crank shaft... your probably getting vibrations all through the rpm range, just not enough to feel. I would double check and make sure your not getting a misfire but really does sound more like hte dampener..

Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 PM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

yes its quite common for the harmonic balancer to go bad, when it is idling take a look and see if its wobbling or if the rubber has come out etc, let us know im glad you figured the idle problem out
Old 09-25-2007, 01:55 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94 G STANG

yes its quite common for the harmonic balancer to go bad, when it is idling take a look and see if its wobbling or if the rubber has come out etc, let us know im glad you figured the idle problem out

It hasn't been confirmed that it is the Harmonic Balancer. That's just an idea that I will look into. My dad said he thinks it's the fan, because when he looked at it, it looked warped and really used. Could a warped / wobbly fan cause the shaking as well?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:10 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94 G STANG

It hasn't been confirmed that it is the Harmonic Balancer. That's just an idea that I will look into. My dad said he thinks it's the fan, because when he looked at it, it looked warped and really used. Could a warped / wobbly fan cause the shaking as well?
A warped and wabbly fan would shake, but you would really be able to see it with the hood up, and it would not be shaking the whole front end of the car.. would just be shaking in its own enclosure.. not enough mass or force to really notice.. would be a lot more likely to hear it than feel it.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

A warped and wabbly fan would shake, but you would really be able to see it with the hood up, and it would not be shaking the whole front end of the car.. would just be shaking in its own enclosure.. not enough mass or force to really notice.. would be a lot more likely to hear it than feel it.

Good point.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Replacing the harmonic balancer doesn't look like a simple job. I just took the car for a drive and man, that shaking is more than I remembered from the last time! This only started happening after I took the car to the body shop for repairs (hood flew up). Before that I didn't have any problems. Do you think they didn't put something on properly and that's why it's shaking? Perhaps they let out a screw or something?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

The harmonic balancer is a dampener to reduce the vibration on the crank.. it will look somewhat like a pulley with no belt going to it on the end of your crank shaft... your probably getting vibrations all through the rpm range, just not enough to feel. I would double check and make sure your not getting a misfire but really does sound more like hte dampener..

I checked for the harmonic balancer and I don't see it. All the pulleys in the front is in contact with the belt in some way. Perhaps my belt is on wrong?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

I checked for the harmonic balancer and I don't see it. All the pulleys in the front is in contact with the belt in some way. Perhaps my belt is on wrong?
Shoulda given you a better description. Its on the end of your crank shaft behind your crank pully.. and it is a major pain in the butt to replace if you do not have the tools/know how to do so. Ive heard of guys boiling them in hot water for periods of time to get them to expand to get them to go on easier. It can be a diy job, but if your not comfortable with it, dont be afraid to take it to a shop.. its far from the easiest repair you can do to your motor.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

What if the firing order of the spark plug got messed up? Like the wires are set properly. Would that cause the shaking? I took it for a test drive yesterday and the car is shaking (violently) clear through 3000RPM then it smooths out.